• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need to decide and hand notice in today

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to decide and hand notice in today

Hi,

Have just been approached by my old company to come back to them on a contract basis. Now this is something I have been wanting to do for a long time but had a plan to do this at the end of next year once I had got a bit of savings behind me.
    All very exciting but im very nervous as well, as I do not have a contract yet as this will be drawn up in January. The best I have is a very clear email from the manager and project manager stating there intentions to hire me for 6 months. I have spoke with a contractor who currently works there and he has had a read and thinks this looks good enough.
    My question is, is there anything legally binding in this day and age and should this be sufficient if things go wrong drawing up a contract?

I trust the people involved having worked with them before but 'things' happen and I don't take anything for granted.

That aside I have my LTD company setup, have been in touch with an accountant and am reading a lot of the very useful information on this site.

Has anyone got any advice?

I think I will be taking this due to a number of reasons, one being uncertainty in my current workplace (the service contract is up in the second half of next year and there is no sign of a renewal), but am understandably nervous about handing my notice in and making the jump, as 3 days ago I was just happy doing my work.

Thanks for any help.

Mark

Toss a coin.

If heads you go for it. Tails you go.

I expect you are waiting for someone to say yes or no and will go with it and you know what you want to hear.

Until you have a signed contract things can go wrong. You might even get a contract, turn up on day 1 and find they have gone bust. But your current company may go bankrupt tomorrow.

Personally, if I had no dependents I would do it.

Comment

Just about to go hand in notice now as have decided. Nothing in life is guaranteed so just going to take calculated risk. Just happening very quickly as its not something I was even thinking about doing just yet a few days ago.

Thanks

Mark

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Toss a coin.

If heads you go for it. Tails you go.

I expect you are waiting for someone to say yes or no and will go with it and you know what you want to hear.

Until you have a signed contract things can go wrong. You might even get a contract, turn up on day 1 and find they have gone bust. But your current company may go bankrupt tomorrow.

Personally, if I had no dependents I would do it.

Comment

Notice in and into the world of contracting. Nervous and excited at the same time.
        Have a lot to do in next few weeks before I start

Comment

Have a great Christmas.

If you are lucky your current firm will put you on gardening leave.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks very much. Same to you.
            Doubt that will happen as there is so much to do.

Mark

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Have a great Christmas.

If you are lucky your current firm will put you on gardening leave.

Comment

Originally posted by MrHanky View Post

Has anyone got any advice?
              Read up on IR35 and understand it is now your client.

Going back to ex-employers isn't contracting in my book but if you are happy with it do it.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Read up on IR35 and understand it is now your client.

Going back to ex-employers isn't contracting in my book but if you are happy with it do it.
                Thanks for that. Have been reading about this quite a bit and can see that it wont be easy to sit outside of IR35.
                Will see what happens but will be working for a different team, in a different part of the country and on a different project so might be ok if the contract is written well. If I am inside then so be it, what will be will be.

Thanks again.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                X