Umbrella Companies: New to contracting
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Posts 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Thank you.

    Is the best way of signing up through yourself directly?

  2. #12

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,373
    Thanks (Given)
    237
    Thanks (Received)
    224
    Likes (Given)
    353
    Likes (Received)
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinm3 View Post
    Thank you.

    Is the best way of signing up through yourself directly?
    Hi Kevin,

    You can either sign up here: Sign up with one of the UK's most respected Umbrella Companies today! or if you would prefer one of my team here could sort it out for you over the phone - 01206 761326.

    Look forward to having you on board
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

  3. #13

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Hi guys,

    I'm completely new to these forums, and relatively new to contracting / freelancing but the issue of Umbrella Companies is one that I was hoping to get some help with.

    Lisa - what would be the benefits of registering with yourselves?

  4. #14

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,373
    Thanks (Given)
    237
    Thanks (Received)
    224
    Likes (Given)
    353
    Likes (Received)
    506

    Default

    Hi Lazy Genius

    Welcome to the forum

    Basically, all umbrella companies work in the same way so what you should be looking for is excellent customer service, transparency on their website, a good reputation and longevity in the market place. A good umbrella company should also make sure that you fully understand the way that an umbrella company differs to permanent employment before you register with them so look for informative articles on their website especially in relation to expenses and employer's NI. Any companies marketing their business based on 'take home pay' should be approached with caution as all UK umbrella companies should operate PAYE on all your earnings - a company promising 85% take home is unlikely to work in this way as income tax rates start at 20% and NI contributions at 12.8%.

    Why should you register with us? Because we're good

    HTH - any more questions just shout.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

  5. #15

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    right so my bf was contacted by an agency after seeing his cv online and offered him a 6 week contract 300 per day working 7 days a week

    he decided to take the ob on as a stop gap as hes due to start a full time position but not for 3 months

    he filled in all the forms and was told to register with an umbrella company as that is how they pay his wages between the agency and umbrella company this was all done for him and he was given log in details which he gave to me to keep an eye on

    so the timesheet was submitted and viewable on his umbrella profile was invoiced to the client for 1225 plus vat 245

    no his payslip went online and his take home pay was 762 !!!!

    breakdown as follows minus the pennies

    income to the company 1225

    ni employers contributions 129

    admin fee 1250

    total available for salary 1083

    tax 237

    ni 83

    paid to employee 762


    does this not seem awfully steep ? forgive me if im wrong but should the agency not be paying his employers ni contributions ?

    considering his annual pay this year is probably only going to be about 30k it seems that way

  6. #16

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    10,374
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    232
    Likes (Given)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geemel79 View Post
    right so my bf was contacted by an agency after seeing his cv online and offered him a 6 week contract 300 per day working 7 days a week

    he decided to take the ob on as a stop gap as hes due to start a full time position but not for 3 months

    he filled in all the forms and was told to register with an umbrella company as that is how they pay his wages between the agency and umbrella company this was all done for him and he was given log in details which he gave to me to keep an eye on

    so the timesheet was submitted and viewable on his umbrella profile was invoiced to the client for 1225 plus vat 245

    no his payslip went online and his take home pay was 762 !!!!

    breakdown as follows minus the pennies

    income to the company 1225

    ni employers contributions 129

    admin fee 1250

    total available for salary 1083

    tax 237

    ni 83

    paid to employee 762


    does this not seem awfully steep ? forgive me if im wrong but should the agency not be paying his employers ni contributions ?

    considering his annual pay this year is probably only going to be about 30k it seems that way
    Nope, looks reasonable to me (assuming he only worked 4 days and the umbrella fee is actually 12.50...).

    Working through an umbrella you get taxed as an employee but Employer's NICs, are the contractor's liability, nobody else's. Welcome to reality.
    Blog? What blog...?

  7. #17

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Watford & London
    Posts
    171
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    9
    Likes (Given)
    39
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geemel79 View Post
    right so my bf was contacted by an agency after seeing his cv online and offered him a 6 week contract 300 per day working 7 days a week

    he decided to take the ob on as a stop gap as hes due to start a full time position but not for 3 months

    he filled in all the forms and was told to register with an umbrella company as that is how they pay his wages between the agency and umbrella company this was all done for him and he was given log in details which he gave to me to keep an eye on

    so the timesheet was submitted and viewable on his umbrella profile was invoiced to the client for 1225 plus vat 245

    no his payslip went online and his take home pay was 762 !!!!

    breakdown as follows minus the pennies

    income to the company 1225

    ni employers contributions 129

    admin fee 1250

    total available for salary 1083

    tax 237

    ni 83

    paid to employee 762


    does this not seem awfully steep ? forgive me if im wrong but should the agency not be paying his employers ni contributions ?

    considering his annual pay this year is probably only going to be about 30k it seems that way
    If you want to save the Er's NIC then you'll need to go down the Ltd Co. route - more admin but take home pay much better. It totally depends on your circumstances.

    Assuming a daily rate of 300k, you'll have annual income of 69k (46 weeks) (plus 2.6k from the VAT flat rate scheme saving in the first year) accountant's fees would be only a little more than what you are paying the Umbrella. Assuming you withdraw all profits your net pay will look more like 4k per month (51k annually).

    If you income is likely to be at this level I would highly recommend going Ltd. If 30k then probably not worth it.

    Andrew

  8. #18

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    10,374
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    232
    Likes (Given)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@NymanLinden View Post
    If you want to save the Er's NIC then you'll need to go down the Ltd Co. route - more admin but take home pay much better. It totally depends on your circumstances.

    Assuming a daily rate of 300k, you'll have annual income of 69k (46 weeks) (plus 2.6k from the VAT flat rate scheme saving in the first year) accountant's fees would be only a little more than what you are paying the Umbrella. Assuming you withdraw all profits your net pay will look more like 4k per month (51k annually).

    If you income is likely to be at this level I would highly recommend going Ltd. If 30k then probably not worth it.

    Andrew
    Can I have a day rate of 300k.... please....

    Seriously, it's reportedly a three month deal until he takes on a permie role, and it's clear they have no ideas about contracting anyway; so umbrella is the only viable option.
    Blog? What blog...?

  9. #19

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,212
    Thanks (Given)
    383
    Thanks (Received)
    1296
    Likes (Given)
    3725
    Likes (Received)
    3258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geemel79 View Post
    does this not seem awfully steep ? forgive me if im wrong but should the agency not be paying his employers ni contributions ?
    The only question I would have is why the calculation is based off 300 including VAT rather than excluding VAT. I've not gone the umbrella route before, but when I agree a rate, that is excluding VAT.

    If the rate discussed was VAT inclusive, then the calculator from contractor umbrella gives a net income of 753.87 which is pretty close to what you get.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  10. #20

    Umbrella Queen

    LisaContractorUmbrella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    5,373
    Thanks (Given)
    237
    Thanks (Received)
    224
    Likes (Given)
    353
    Likes (Received)
    506

    Default

    WTFS

    If the contract rate, as agreed in the business to business contract between the umbrella company and the agency is 300.00 per day then it would be usual for this rate to be plus VAT and not inclusive of VAT - other than that the figures seem OK. You should advise your friend that he cannot claim travel expenses whilst he's with the umbrella company as he will only be working on a single assignment whilst in their employment.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

    Follow us on Twitter.

    ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.