• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

variable rate contract and umbrella companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

variable rate contract and umbrella companies

I've been offered a new contract which is atypical in as much as the work is piece-meal and the amount paid will vary according to the piece of work. Therefore, I will not have a fixed hourly or day-rate. I have used umbrella companies in the past so was planning on doing so again, but have been told by two umbrella companies that they cannot handle this type of contract. I am unclear whether this is to do with their systems, or whether there is a legal issue, as this was alluded to. Can anyone advise whether there is an option to use an umbrella for this type of contract or whether my only option is to go down the limited company route. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by berkleyn View Post
    I've been offered a new contract which is atypical in as much as the work is piece-meal and the amount paid will vary according to the piece of work. Therefore, I will not have a fixed hourly or day-rate. I have used umbrella companies in the past so was planning on doing so again, but have been told by two umbrella companies that they cannot handle this type of contract. I am unclear whether this is to do with their systems, or whether there is a legal issue, as this was alluded to. Can anyone advise whether there is an option to use an umbrella for this type of contract or whether my only option is to go down the limited company route. Thanks in advance.
    If you would like to contact me I may be able to help but it would require you registering as self employed, the contracting party agreeing and you providing some evidence to me of the income being declared in full to HMRC. You would not have to engage with a trust in any way if you do not wish to.
    The issue for traditional umbrella companies i believe is the AWR and their obligations regarding pay between assignments ect.

Comment

Hi berkleyn

When you say the work is piece-meal - what do you mean exactly? Do you have another job and you are doing this work on the side or is it a full time contract just with variable hours?
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

variable rate contract/unbrella

Its a part-time contract, with work assignments (e.g may be 3-5 hours work) randomly given to me. Each piece of work will vary and so will the fee.

Comment

Its a part-time contract, with work assignments (e.g may be 3-5 hours work) randomly given to me. Each piece of work will vary and so will the fee.
          In that case, an umbrella company is not the best option for you - do you have the option to be paid direct by the agency? I don't know what the accountants on the board would recommend but IMHO a Limited Company would not be the way to go either

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

A limited company could be an option, but it depends on the level of income. Really, it's only worth it if your annual income is going to exceed around £30,000.

How about self employment? A lot of agencies won't allow it, but if you can contract direct with the client then it may be an option. It's better than PAYE as you'll save a bit of NI, plus it's then just a case of preparing a tax return each year.
            ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

If the contract is with an agency you will have no choice but to go Ltd (assuming brolly is off the agenda) - they can't deal with self employed people
              P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy View Post
                If the contract is with an agency you will have no choice but to go Ltd (assuming brolly is off the agenda) - they can't deal with self employed people
                We can

Comment

Originally posted by geoff from contracta IOM View Post
                  We can
                  Not if the OP has secured his contract through an agency

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                    Not if the OP has secured his contract through an agency
                    Yes they usually can.

Geoff's structure is likely to have a company in-between the agency and self-employed person.

Comment

Working...
                    X