• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

variable rate contract and umbrella companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prozak View Post
    Yes they usually can.

Geoff's structure is likely to have a company in-between the agency and self-employed person.
    I need a bit more of an explanation for that to make sense Prozak
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      If you read my earlier post Lisa you will see that we can handle someone who is self employed and the OP's agency would need to be in agreement with this.

Comment

My understanding of the structures of the EBT replacements is:

Agency -> Contracta Ltd Company -> Self Employed Person.

Comment

Originally posted by prozak View Post
          My understanding of the structures of the EBT replacements is:

Agency -> Contracta Ltd Company -> Self Employed Person.
          Thats correct Prozac, Lisa KUATB

Comment

Originally posted by geoff from contracta IOM View Post
            Thats correct Prozac, Lisa KUATB
            Oh OK - so what's the relationship between the Ltd Co and the sole trader? B2B presumably??

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Oh OK - so what's the relationship between the Ltd Co and the sole trader? B2B presumably??
              I the the sole trader is registered as self employed, can provide a UTR number and give a declaration that they will declare all the income to HMRC then we are happy to work with them.

Comment

Originally posted by geoff from contracta IOM View Post
                I the the sole trader is registered as self employed, can provide a UTR number and give a declaration that they will declare all the income to HMRC then we are happy to work with them.
                so what's the relationship between the Ltd Co and the sole trader? B2B presumably??

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

so what's the relationship between the Ltd Co and the sole trader? B2B presumably??
                  Sorry yes B2B

Comment

ughh!!

Originally posted by berkleyn View Post
                    I've been offered a new contract which is atypical in as much as the work is piece-meal and the amount paid will vary according to the piece of work. Therefore, I will not have a fixed hourly or day-rate. I have used umbrella companies in the past so was planning on doing so again, but have been told by two umbrella companies that they cannot handle this type of contract. I am unclear whether this is to do with their systems, or whether there is a legal issue, as this was alluded to. Can anyone advise whether there is an option to use an umbrella for this type of contract or whether my only option is to go down the limited company route. Thanks in advance.
                    Thanks for all the replies. This particular contract does not involve an agency, however future contracts are likely to, so I want something that will work for both approaches, as I'm unlikely to go back to umbrella once I set up as sole trader/ltd/self-employed. Guess I'm not clear on best way forward - is discussing with an accountant the next best step ?

Comment

Originally posted by berkleyn View Post
                      Thanks for all the replies. This particular contract does not involve an agency, however future contracts are likely to, so I want something that will work for both approaches, as I'm unlikely to go back to umbrella once I set up as sole trader/ltd/self-employed. Guess I'm not clear on best way forward - is discussing with an accountant the next best step ?
                      Given agencies won't deal with Self employed people, your own Ltd Co is the most flexible and cost effective solution. Go to www.pcg.org.uk and download the Guide to Freelancing. That will explain all the options
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X