• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency overpaying umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency overpaying umbrella

Hi, I'm actually posting this on behalf of a friend

"I was overpaid by Project People months ago. I questioned my umbrella company at the time and they said everything was fine. Now the agency has contacted my Umbrella company for the money back.

Do you know what I can do?? I can't afford to pay them back. Its their fault not mine."

Any advice?
    Thanks
    John

Originally posted by chineseJohn View Post
    Hi, I'm actually posting this on behalf of a friend

"I was overpaid by Project People months ago. I questioned my umbrella company at the time and they said everything was fine. Now the agency has contacted my Umbrella company for the money back.

Do you know what I can do?? I can't afford to pay them back. Its their fault not mine."

Any advice?
    Thanks
    John
    No it's your fault you kept money you knew you did not earn , why are you surprised they want it back ? The law is very clear on this

Comment

I have to agree with Geoff on this one ( ). If you knew that you had been overpaid you can't really complain when the mistake is spotted
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geoff from contracta IOM View Post
        No it's your fault you kept money you knew you did not earn , why are you surprised they want it back ? The law is very clear on this
        absolutely right, i had this situation previously and any overpayment can be claimed back regardless of the reason the client will want it back from the Umbrella and the umbrella will want it back from you so save yourself the hassle and arrange repayment even if it a £1 week for the next 20 years

Comment

The mistake the "friend" made was telling the umbrella company about it.

If you aren't aware of it, and it is reasonable that you didn't notice the money, then there are some precedents that support being able to keep the money.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
          X