• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone heard of Templar Management?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone heard of Templar Management?

Hello Fellow Contractors!

Ref: Templar Management

The account manager of my agency called me up for a "friendly-catch-up-just-to-see-how-it's-going" and he specifically recommended them. It's a Guernsey PAYE setup apparently, I'm awaiting more info but just wondered if anyone had looked into it. Take-home percentages are not obscenely high but much better than the usual umbrellas. They don't have much of a marketing presence which makes me slightly nervous - I am just getting a bit fed up with my usual umbrella take home percentage. I don't have much of an appetite for risk on the other hand.

Templar Management

Hi,

I too have been encourage via a recruiter to look at Templar Management and have just spoken to one of the companies representatives. I was quoted 77% return.

Did you get any feedback on your research?

At the moment I am with an umberella company who have served me well but I am always interested in getting a better % take home.

The thought of setting up my own company (again) is just to messy for me - but we'll see.

Regards,

Comment

If you live in the UK, work in the UK and are tax resident in the UK you are obliged to pay UK tax. If you work through an umbrella company or work inside IR35 through your own company, you have no choice but to pay tax and NI contributions through PAYE, therefore no 'scheme' will increase your take home pay.

Assuming these posts are not I would suggest that you read the BN66 threads in accounting and legal.
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I have heard of them and know a couple of people using them one of whom has recommended me to them. I have checked them out and they are on the level and yes they do appear to return the 77% quoted.

I am pretty risk averse and LisaContractorUmbrella is spot on with her comment about living, working and paying tax in the UK and also about 'schemes'.

However, they are an agency/consultancy as far as I can see and not a scheme and when I checked specifically about NI and Tax with the guy that recommended them he confirmed that all his money is going through PAYE. Looking at the BN66 threads LisaContractorUmbrella suggested, can't see the relevance as they are using UK PAYE - or have I missed something?

Maybe this is the long awaited and low risk alternative to using an umbrella. Who knows! Am I going to sign up? Yes - as soon as I can extract from my current 'arrangement' as a 77% low risk return is a lot better than I am currently getting.

Comment

Originally posted by schezam View Post
          Maybe this is the long awaited and low risk alternative to using an umbrella. Who knows! Am I going to sign up? Yes - as soon as I can extract from my current 'arrangement' as a 77% low risk return is a lot better than I am currently getting.
          There are none so blind as those who will not see...

Given we all work to the same taxation rules and that YourCo is the most tax efficient way of doing it and will struggle to return much over 70%, do you not think there may be something just a little screwy in someone taking your money and giving quite a lot of it back again?

The point of the BN66 thread is to demonstrate the lengths that HMRC are going to in order to ensure that such "interesting" tax avoidance schemes cease to be. Going in for one now, following clear announcements in recent budgets that such things are not going to be tolerated, would be about as sensible as having a quick fag while refuelling the car.

Still, your money, your risk, your potential five year investigation. Have fun...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

BN66 is in ref to double taxation of self employed people in an Isle of Man Partnership using profits at 0% - basically trying to avoid paying their UK tax. This is tax evasion - retrospective back tax for up to 6 years on that one. Tax avoidance is perfectly legal as long as you are operating within the law!

Agencies will recommend companies as they will get cash for you if you sign up. Quite simple. Always be wary when an agency has that friendly chat.

LisaContractorUmbrella is 100% correct. If you are reg with the HMRC in the UK then that may be different but if you are thinking about it be very careful. Companies will tell you what you want to hear over the phone but when you ask for it in writing its another story. If in doubt test them and request specific questions in writing.
            Ive used various set ups before, some are legal and had great returns.

Comment

My, my, my, three brand new posters all joined and posting on a thread hawking some offshore scheme. It's like waiting for a London bus.
              "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

OK, so guaranteed 77% return through standard PAYE - how?
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  OK, so guaranteed 77% return through standard PAYE - how?
                  They only pay them £15k pa
                  Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                  "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

I like to let these guys through occasionally - it lets the boys sharpen their aim!
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X