• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to work out whether £1k inside IR35 is 'better' than £900 outside?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to work out whether £1k inside IR35 is 'better' than £900 outside?

I've got two contract offers - one at £900 outside and the other £1000 inside IR35.
    Neither will incur expenses such as travel, hotels, meals etc - they are both fully remote roles. I don't need to draw any income, so building up a pot and then voluntary liquidation is an option (have done this before 8 years ago) but realistically I don't want to be contracting for more than a year or two.
    I was looking at this calculator and based on a £60K pension contribution the total lost to taxes is about the same.
    I can't find any calculators that let you add more things to the mix such as flat rate VAT and Entrepreneurs' Tax Relief...but from what I thought was a no brainer - i.e. outside role is better financially I am now not at all sure.
    Factor in the cost of an accountant and IR35 risk etc... I do wonder if the outside role pips it.

Thoughts please?

Edit - I just looked at the calculator figures and it underdoes the PAYE by a decent chunk. Wonder if there are other gotchas. Just thinking, with the Capital Gains allowance dropping (and me already having ways to use it up when last time I did IVL I didn't) that makes that look less rosy.

900 inside vs 1k outside, assuming 60k in pension and full drawdown of all profit as dividends appears to work out almost the same using (and partly correcting) the calculators I've tried. Leaving the profit in the Ltd and then paying 10% business asset disposal relief changes things but since I hope contracting is temporary that might not really sway things. Umbrella is fire and forget - hmm...I think I know which option to take.
    Last edited by Olly; 20 March 2023, 14:50.

Meh - as it's really simple is £900 less than £1000/1.143 (i.e. gross pay once employer NI and apprenticeship levy has been deducted).

Unless you have a lot of unused pension allowances from the past 3 years I can't see how being inside works for you.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
      I can't find any calculators that let you add more things to the mix such as flat rate VAT and Entrepreneurs' Tax Relief...

Thoughts please?
      You're wanting a calculator that will work out earnings including how much you will get when you wind up your company?
      For that you need an accountant to go through the details and options, not a bunch of people on an internet forum who will give you generic figures based on what you tell them.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

As an aside, on your concurrent thread you stated:

Originally posted by Olly View Post
        My umbrella will be collecting the Apprenticeship Levy from me to the tune of around £750 a year.
        That would be the equivalent of a daily rate of £680-700, not £1k.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

where's LPM1 when you need him?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            As an aside, on your concurrent thread you stated:
            That would be the equivalent of a daily rate of £680-700, not £1k.
            Got a better offer.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              You're wanting a calculator that will work out earnings including how much you will get when you wind up your company?
              For that you need an accountant to go through the details and options, not a bunch of people on an internet forum who will give you generic figures based on what you tell them.
              That would be handy - I did have one a made myself 8 or so years ago but no idea where it is now and % etc have changed since then.

Comment

If you look at an inside rate versus an original Ltd company outside rate, you need an uplift on the Ltd company rate of around 23% to cover employment costs.

Comment

Working...
                X