• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella company "Taxable Income" reported to HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella company "Taxable Income" reported to HMRC

Hi

Need clarification on how the HMRC Taxable Income is calculated when working through an umbrella company;

Say as an illustration the following figures for the tax year;

- Invoiced £100,000
    - Employers NI cont £13,000
    - Employees NIC £5,000
    - Apprentice Levy £500
    - Umbrella margin £1000

Given the above sample figures, the umbrella company has reported to the HMRC £100,000 as my taxable income.
    However I would have thought my taxable income is the £100,000 minus the Employers NIC, Apprentice levy, and potentially the Margin, thus £85,500. Should this not be what I would pay income tax on?

If £100,000 is in fact my taxable income, then I will be paying 40% income tax on the Employees NIC and the Apprentice Levy already paid.

Which is correct?

Originally posted by Nava39 View Post
    However I would have thought my taxable income is the £100,000 minus the Employers NIC, Apprentice levy, and potentially the Margin, thus £85,500.
    Yes, that's correct. Do you have a (redacted) payslip that you can share?

Comment

Ignoring pensions your gross pay / taxable income should be what the umbrella receives from the agency minus their fee, employer NI and apprenticeship levy.

So in your example

Invoice £100,000
      Umbrella fee £1000
      Employer NI £13,000
      Apprenticeship levy £500

Gross pay £100,000 - £14,500 = £85,500.

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thanks for confirming

Comment

Your pay statement should have year to date figures on it - this should show what has been reported as the taxable salary which as everyone has said is the invoice value less employment costs (ErsNI, Umbrella Margin, and AL).

Comment

Originally posted by Nava39 View Post
            the umbrella company has reported to the HMRC £100,000 as my taxable income.
            How has that been reported? Where are you seeing that figure?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

How has that been reported? Where are you seeing that figure?
              I suspect he's confused it won't have been the umbrella - agency reporting would give HMRC the £100,000 figure.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

My error reading the payslip. They way the umbrella payslip is designed it gave the impression that taxable income was the agency gross pay.

They are processing as you have all indicated they should
                ​​​

Comment

Working...
                X