• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do any Umbrellas do anything with the Apprenticeship Levy other than hand it to HMRC?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Olly View Post
    err....how would I demonstrate it was Apprenticeship Levy money that was being spent other than that is what I was told through my recollection of an extensive discussion with the lady who runs all the Apprenticeship schemes at the bank - many people were doing them - plenty at level 7.
    If the rules have changed recently then that's a real shame as it likely means much more of this money will just go to HMRC rather than on training. Mind you, an ambiguous blog post on the Education Hub does not constitute law AFAIK.
    Well you could say that about the content on all the gov.uk sites but I would hope it would be aligned to what is legally allowed.

Comment

Oh, and...

The funds that a company can't spend are pooled and divvied out to SMEs to help them with the costs of training their staff. I don't know the details of the mechanism but I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

I presume that's unacceptable to you too.

Comment

I'm sure we can gift a proportion of it to Ltd companies for training???? Just a thought?

Comment

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
          I'm sure we can gift a proportion of it to Ltd companies for training???? Just a thought?
          Does that mean you're going to look into please ??? lucyclarityumbrella

Comment

Does that mean you're going to look into please ??? lucyclarityumbrella
            It's possible but it won't be going to you - more likely a local firm (not attached to any umbrella employees) that wants to spend money on training...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

It's possible but it won't be going to you - more likely a local firm (not attached to any umbrella employees) that wants to spend money on training...
              Erm...are you lucy's snappy alter ego? The question was to her - how are you in a position to answer whether it's possible for her to look into or not. Rhetorical question BTW.

Comment

Erm...are you lucy's snappy alter ego? The question was to her - how are you in a position to answer whether it's possible for her to look into or not. Rhetorical question BTW.
                Erm - the main point was that it can't be given to you no matter how much you hope it could be - and it seemed right to point out that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

They can't - believe me I know some have tried to but the rules don't allow them to do so....
                  I don't believe there's a rule that stops anyone from doing this. There are restrictions on how to spend it, but plenty of organisations that will help you do it. Councils tend to use the AL pretty well.

CONEL (https://www.conel.ac.uk/) offer help in this space - one of many.

Comment

Originally posted by andymalory View Post

I don't believe there's a rule that stops anyone from doing this. There are restrictions on how to spend it, but plenty of organisations that will help you do it. Councils tend to use the AL pretty well.

CONEL (https://www.conel.ac.uk/) offer help in this space - one of many.
                    So go back and see what you can actually spend the money on - hint it’s not on things we would want to spend training funds on

Comment

Working...
                    X