• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella for US Company (US Jurisidiction)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella for US Company (US Jurisidiction)

Hi all - following on from my previous thread on this forum - the company i'm going to work for has in fact agreed to an umbrella. I'm looking for suggestions for a reputable umbrella that deals with overseas companies.
    I am UK based and tax resident here, but the umbrella needs to be able to deal with the US company and under US Law.
    Lucy @ Clarity Umbrella came highly recommended but I would like to make this a competitive process.

Thanks again, your help has been invaluable to me.

Sue B would be a good person to talk to.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You have the two best suggestions already.

Good that you mentioned Delaware jurisdiction and governing law, because that will be a problem for a lot of umbrella companies. I don't recall whether Clarity Umbrella (and make sure you have the right one because there are copycats out there!) will do this - they definitely deal with US companies, but the jurisdiction/governing law makes a massive differences in terms of insurance.

Comment

Isn’t Delaware the US IoM/Jersey equivalent? I seem to remember that they have very liberal tax laws.

Edit: or Corporation Law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delawa...on_in_Delaware
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Yeah, Delaware is very popular with US companies, both for tax reasons and business friendly state law.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Yeah, Delaware is very popular with US companies, both for tax reasons and business friendly state law.
            As we will witness in the forthcoming Musk Twitter court case.

To the OP the issue you will find is that few UK umbrellas will be able to cope with getting appropriate insurance for the US when they have very few workers needing it..

Worksome - Hire and manage your external workforce may be an option because I suspect you will need an international firm who understand the US to sit between you and them.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Right, there are Employers of Record/international payroll providers for remote workers too. I think TheCyclingProgrammer went with one of these companies for his US employment, I forget which one.

Comment

It's a shame all that investment IPSE made in a US arm came to naught as this is exactly the sort of thing I'd expect them to be able to assist with.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Right, there are Employers of Record/international payroll providers for remote workers too. I think TheCyclingProgrammer went with one of these companies for his US employment, I forget which one.
                  Remote.com - I am employed through them. They do also support some kind of contracting deal as well though.

Comment

Working...
                  X