• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Be careful when picking an FCSA umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be careful when picking an FCSA umbrella

The FCSA changed their charter back in March (at the request of some members) to allow members to offer offshore schemes provided its no more than 25% of their business. and are understatements of my opinion

Full Computer Weekly article is up at IR35: FCSA defends Charter change that lets umbrella firms operate offshore setups (computerweekly.com) so I can finally talk and post about it.

merely at clientco for the entertainment

It would be very interesting to know how many of the board members Umbrella companies offer, or intend to offer, the offshore schemes. Surely that would be very telling? FCSA won't be worth a jot if it's driven upwards by the boards companies profits and not downwards by dictating good policy.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What a fecking surprise (not)...

Treat FCSA umbrella with only a slightly shorter bargepole than the dodgy ones - there's no point relying on FCSA due dilligence; you're on your own again guys and gals.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        What a fecking surprise (not)...

Treat FCSA umbrella with only a slightly shorter bargepole than the dodgy ones - there's no point relying on FCSA due dilligence; you're on your own again guys and gals.
        There never has been. Every time I encounter an issue with the stuff I'm working on I remind myself that it will be the only game in town once finished.

I never thought my 30 year old computer audit skills would be so useful.

Comment

Oh, and let's not forget the press release... The FCSA announces launch of revised Codes of Compliance • FCSA

And don't think that Professional Passport is any better, as far as I can see it just puts them both on the same playing field.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Oh, and let's not forget the press release... The FCSA announces launch of revised Codes of Compliance • FCSA

And don't think that Professional Passport is any better, as far as I can see it just puts them both on the same playing field.
            Professional Passport is one person who could be run over by a bus tomorrow.

(You think I'm kidding but I've checked with multiple people and no-one can remember talking to anyone beyond Mr Crawford Temple).

Comment

but, but... "This latest comprehensive review has made the Codes tougher and even more transparent, providing added assurance for agencies, end hirers, and contractors."

They wouldn't be making that up!

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

but, but... "This latest comprehensive review has made the Codes tougher and even more transparent, providing added assurance for agencies, end hirers, and contractors."

So transparent that it take a third party to discover the issue and tell some of the FCSA membership because the FCSA hadn't bothered to discuss the changes with all their members.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Don't see why not.

The aim of any company is to make money for its shareholders. FCSA is a company. QED.

Also Crawford Temple was talking bull*t 20 years ago. I don't see that he has improved since.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Don't see why not.

The aim of any company is to make money for its shareholders. FCSA is a company. QED.

Also Crawford Temple was talking bull*t 20 years ago. I don't see that he has improved since.
                    Technically the FCSA is a Private company limited by guarantee without share capital - i.e. a closed shop..

Comment

Working...
                    X