• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pensions and umbrellas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pensions and umbrellas

Been umbrella in public sector for last 5 years.....
    New gig coming up and new umbrella needed.

OK there my understanding. The umbrella get the gross amount from the agency and then reverse calculate the 13.5% employer NI which comes off. Then its a "normal" employee type gross salary with normal NI and tax. Right?

I know previously, and I think I'm right, that the pension contributions came out of the gross total. i.e. So BEFORE the employer NI. Which saves paying 13.5% on it?
    BUT I remember the last pension person at the brolly telling me it didnt make much difference if it came out as personal contributions.

Anyone understand it? Surely its better to take it out BEFORE you start getting ANY sort of deduction?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    New gig coming up and new umbrella needed.

OK there my understanding. The umbrella get the gross amount from the agency and then reverse calculate the 13.5% employer NI which comes off. Then its a "normal" employee type gross salary with normal NI and tax. Right?

I know previously, and I think I'm right, that the pension contributions came out of the gross total. i.e. So BEFORE the employer NI. Which saves paying 13.5% on it?
    BUT I remember the last pension person at the brolly telling me it didnt make much difference if it came out as personal contributions.

Anyone understand it? Surely its better to take it out BEFORE you start getting ANY sort of deduction?
    Yes it f***ing well does.

As we've now said multiple times try and use Clarity for you are completely clueless and getting conned (if the above is an example of your knowledge).

The only advantage an umbrella offers over agency payroll is the ability (that a decent umbrella will offer) to put money via salary sacrifice AND before any deductions / calculations are made directly into your preferred pension scheme.

Salary Sacrifice - money is paid into your pension before any deductions are made
    Personal contributions - you can claim the income tax back but will have lost 25% in NI contributions that you cannot reclaim but can avoid paying in the first place if you do things properly.
    Last edited by eek; 8 October 2021, 13:45.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Do you not have your old payslips, can you not just check yourself with the information you have already in your hand?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I am about to start a contract inside IR35 so umbrella is completely new to me. Having called a few umbrellas, I find that most will only pay into their own pension scheme. How are people dealing with this if you already have your own pension scheme you currently pay into?

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
          I am about to start a contract inside IR35 so umbrella is completely new to me. Having called a few umbrellas, I find that most will only pay into their own pension scheme. How are people dealing with this if you already have your own pension scheme you currently pay into?
          You either keep going until you find one that will pay into your scheme directly or you find an umbrella using a pension scheme with low enough costs that transferring the money into your scheme isn't that expensive.

There is a reason why we continually suggest Clarity...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That's odd as I thought from the feedback the majority allow payments to your own SIPP.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              So you'll actually know more about this than most on the forums then won't you?

Clearly not

How come you don't know this when you are happy to tell everyone you've been with a brolly 5 years already? Tell us how long you've been with them and the prove you don't have a bleedin clue. Way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

That's odd as I thought from the feedback the majority allow payments to your own SIPP.
                Two I called I think did not. A search on the forum implied people are not fully satisfied with how the UC was handling their SIPPs.

I thought I'll be happy getting back to work after taking a year off but the realisation that I'll be handing a huge chunk over for tax is pissing me off.

Comment

Two I called I think did not. A search on the forum implied people are not fully satisfied with how the UC was handling their SIPPs.

I thought I'll be happy getting back to work after taking a year off but the realisation that I'll be handing a huge chunk over for tax is pissing me off.
                  You are thinking about it all wrong then. Just focus on the income and treat it like a low paid gig that's not going to last long.

Have you rung clarity yet?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You are thinking about it all wrong then. Just focus on the income and treat it like a low paid gig that's not going to last long.

Have you rung clarity yet?
                    I did call Clarity but unless I am mistaken, I was told only pension option was NEST.

Comment

Working...
                    X