• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Rebate problem with an Umbrella Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Rebate problem with an Umbrella Company

Hi

On my payslip under Sub Contracter Deductions it says:
    Tax Rebate -£187
    Tax Rebate Held £187

does anyone know what this means?

will I get my rebate?

First step is to speak to your umbrella. You are employed now so it's up to them to explain exactly what is going on. They are responsible for all this so get them on the phone, ask them explain the situation in detail and don't come off the phone until you get an answer. It will answer your question but also give you a full understanding of how it works so you can keep a careful eye on what they are doing and you'll be forewarned should anything else that doesn't look quite right on the face of it pops up.

Don't let some payroll bod fob you off though. Stay on the phone until you are 100% clear and if you still aren't, escalate it. You pay for this service so and they are obliged to get it right.

Is your Umbrella FCSA approved? If so I very much doubt it's anything dodgy.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Also, if you don't fully understand how holiday pay works then ask them about that as well. It's an odd setup that catches people unawares. Them keeping money back, paying you it when you are off and getting it back at the end of the engagement. Catches a lot of people out and we get asked it quite a bit so while you are get them to clarify that as well.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jugessurj86 View Post
        Hi

On my payslip under Sub Contracter Deductions it says:
        Tax Rebate -£187
        Tax Rebate Held £187

does anyone know what this means?

will I get my rebate?
        Sounds very odd indeed (sorry a bit late to this one). I have never seen that done before - you mention sub-contractor, can I ask are you CIS?

Comment

Working...
        X