• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel expenses through umbrella company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel expenses through umbrella company

I will be starting a new contract through an umbrella company in a few weeks. The client has determined the role outside IR35 but I no longer have my Ltd co. hence umbrella.

My permanent place of employment will be home but I will be required to travel to client's head office a couple of times a month.

Any thoughts on whether I can claim travel travel expenses to client's HQ? My understanding is that travel expenses cannot be claimed through umbrella if there is supervision, direction and control from client. But given client has determined role as outside IR35, not sure if SDC test is applicable.

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
    I will be starting a new contract through an umbrella company in a few weeks. The client has determined the role outside IR35 but I no longer have my Ltd co. hence umbrella.

My permanent place of employment will be home but I will be required to travel to client's head office a couple of times a month.

Any thoughts on whether I can claim travel travel expenses to client's HQ? My understanding is that travel expenses cannot be claimed through umbrella if there is supervision, direction and control from client. But given client has determined role as outside IR35, not sure if SDC test is applicable.
    In theory you should be able to if you can prove lack of SDC. In a vast majority of cases this really isn't possible. The SDC test is still valid as it's the decision point as whether you claim or not. I don't think just being outside is enough of a pointer as SDC is just one factor in an outside determination I'm not aware of anyone that's managed to prove it and claim. Maybe the SDS will do if it's expressly called out.

IMO your best first stop is to ring the brolly as they are your employer now.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You will need to ring multiple umbrellas as most won't do SDC expense schemes for that way opens whole worlds of pain for them.

The FCSA ones that do that I'm aware of are Advance and by the looks of a linkedIn post this week NumberMill.

Neither are, however, umbrellas I would work through.. ..
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Other way to do it is to see if you can get written confirmation of no SDC from the client and then submit them via self assessment at the end of the year.

Comment

Working...
        X