• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella offering expenses?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gizzmo
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Can I just check here what you mean by expenses.

Expenses to me are travel and subsistence while at the end client's main location

Mobile phones and computer purchases aren't really that type of expense and I believe that is what you (and Parasol) are talking about with the 15% here.
    Parasol call Electronic equipment Business costs - but the staff use the term expenses interchangeably as per the email blurb i posted in my earlier post. A laptop, ipad or mobile phone is described as a Business cost which they will reimburse 85% for and retain 15% because they still own it - and then when you complete the assignment you can buy it off them for the 15% remainder (or more) depending on the value.

https://www.parasolgroup.co.uk/wp-co...038.1602687741

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by gizzmo View Post

They are making 15% minimum cut on your expenses - so they have a vested interest. They are constantly prompting me not to forgot to claim my expenses. Their list of allowable expenses is very long. I actually don't doubt that they do pay as they explained, however as a basic rate taxpayer - with them taking min 15% - its really not worth my while. I can see how a higher rate tax payer might see the benefit though. I have also had confirmation from other Parasol "employees" who have successfully claimed.

Can I just check here what you mean by expenses.

Expenses to me are travel and subsistence while at the end client's main location

Mobile phones and computer purchases aren't really that type of expense and I believe that is what you (and Parasol) are talking about with the 15% here.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I have also had confirmation from other Parasol "employees" who have successfully claimed.
    We know a lot of MP's that claimed expenses as well. Doesn't mean it was right.

Leave a comment:

• gizzmo
    replied
    Originally posted by sira View Post
    What I dont understand here is, how is Parasol (one of the biggest umbrellas), doing something that is supposedly illegal?
    They are making 15% minimum cut on your expenses - so they have a vested interest. They are constantly prompting me not to forgot to claim my expenses. Their list of allowable expenses is very long. I actually don't doubt that they do pay as they explained, however as a basic rate taxpayer - with them taking min 15% - its really not worth my while. I can see how a higher rate tax payer might see the benefit though. I have also had confirmation from other Parasol "employees" who have successfully claimed.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by sira View Post
    What I dont understand here is, how is Parasol (one of the biggest umbrellas), doing something that is supposedly illegal?
    Because a lot of the umbrella companies come from the dodgier side of the industry (it's where they got the original megabucks that allowed them to expand).

Plus it's all a sales pitch to get you to sign up before they inevitable say - sadly you don't qualify once you've committed to being with them for x months.

Leave a comment:

• sira
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
    The expense had to be "incurred wholly for the purposes of the assignment" meaning the laptop would have had to be binned after the assignment was over - couldn't be used on another assignment!
    Why is it the assignment, rather than the length of time working via that brolly? If the brolly were an ordinary employer, say a consultancy, they might well supply a laptop for multiple assignments. Obviously, when you leave the brolly, you either have to buy the laptop off your employer, or give it up. (I can understand why brolly's would want to do this, as they don't want to be stuck with a bunch of laptops, and they can't force the (ex-) employee to buy it).

I don't doubt your expertise for a minute - I was just wondering.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied

So are you saying what Parasol are doing is wrong?
    Well I can see what they are doing but the idea was closed off back in 2016 https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...crackdown.html

Leave a comment:

• gizzmo
    replied
    No words
    So are you saying what Parasol are doing is wrong?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    No words
    +1 - words fail me...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X