• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

*rant* Umbrellas - FCSA members illustrations / calcs - 52 working weeks FFS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anonimouse
    replied
    They charge £35,000 membership

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    More of a box ticking exercise that is mostly worthless - I would rather have personal recommendations rather than FCSA any day of the week

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    This...

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by Freud View Post
    Thanks, so not being an FCSA member does not restrict an umbrella from offering pension schemes and other salary sacrifice schemes ?
    It is just about adhering to a set of standards and having a body you can use for independent appeal ?
    More of a box ticking exercise that is mostly worthless - I would rather have personal recommendations rather than FCSA any day of the week

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by Freud View Post
    Thanks, so not being an FCSA member does not restrict an umbrella from offering pension schemes and other salary sacrifice schemes ?
    It is just about adhering to a set of standards and having a body you can use for independent appeal ?
    appeal what?

It's a cartel designed to protect current members who include a set of cowboys who pulled tax avoidance techniques years back...

What the FCSA isn't doing is anything to protect the general public, they only care about protecting their membership..

Now I will say that an FCSA member is a better check than Professional Passport (who we saw advertising a tax avoidance scheme last week) but any legitimate umbrella is fine.

Leave a comment:

• Freud
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    They go through an accreditation process that allows them FCSA approval/membership. The problem is they set the bar so high its crushing anyone new coming to the market so creating a closed shop.

It's not really about different offers, just that they've met the criteria of the FCSA review.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    They go through an accreditation process that allows them FCSA approval/membership. The problem is they set the bar so high its crushing anyone new coming to the market so creating a closed shop.

It's not really about different offers, just that they've met the criteria of the FCSA review.

Leave a comment:

• Freud
    replied
    What does FCSA get you?

Hi all,

I am rapidly trying to educate myself on Umbrella companies due to IR35 changes.

I have read a heck of a lot of threads. I understand that some schemes have flexibility on salary sacrifice for pensions etc and others don't.

What I don't understand; what is the significance of agencies that are FCSA members, like Paystream and non FCSA members like Clarity ?
    What service can FCSA member offer that non members cannot ?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• mjcp
    replied
    Originally posted by contractor_coop View Post
    I had this situation the other day, a contractor asked me why his take home pay was less with our umbrella when compared to a large well known FCSA Umbrella.

In this situation the umbrella in question had not only presented their figures based on 52 weeks worked, they had neglected to adjust the individuals personal allowance for earnings over £100k.

This created some highly inflated, yet misleading figures, that would also have resulted in a £5k tax bill, given his earnings were expected to exceed £125k.

I am sure we must lose business this way, but I hope such transparency will win out in the long run.
    The FCSA have quietly rigged a nice little cartel for themselves:

1. Create a name the sort-of sounds like the FCA (a proper gov't watch dog) = starting point to claim credibility
    2. Convince Agents that FCSA members are legit and the bastion of high standards in the "cesspool" of the umbrella market (ignoring a number of FCSA members who have decidedly iffy histories... e.g. CVAs etc in their history for HMRC liabilities, pervious form for pushing "enhanced tax planning schemes" etc) = agents only use (allow) FCSA members
    3. Restrict who can join based on arbitrary criteria that change on a whim = a cartel.

What a crock!

M

Leave a comment:

• contractor_coop
    replied
    Originally posted by mjcp View Post
    An open rant to umbrellas and specifically the FCSA members:

Why do umbrellas give illustrations with 52 weeks worked when there is a statutory entitlement to 5.6 weeks paid holiday p.a. ?

More specifically, why do members of the "trade body", where membership is supposed to demonstrate compliance (and by extension, quality) persist in using a non compliant working illustration on their sites and calculators? How hard is it to either add a field for No of weeks worked or simply default it to 48 (or 47.4)? (not very)

Yes, yes... I understand that not everyone will take worked week into account when they sign up, all the more reason to ensure members claiming to be good via FCSA membership demonstrate it. (I did say it was a rant)

rant /off

M
    I had this situation the other day, a contractor asked me why his take home pay was less with our umbrella when compared to a large well known FCSA Umbrella.

In this situation the umbrella in question had not only presented their figures based on 52 weeks worked, they had neglected to adjust the individuals personal allowance for earnings over £100k.

This created some highly inflated, yet misleading figures, that would also have resulted in a £5k tax bill, given his earnings were expected to exceed £125k.

I am sure we must lose business this way, but I hope such transparency will win out in the long run.

Leave a comment:

• lucyclarityumbrella
    replied
    Umbrella is an expensive, numbers game - in order to be compliant it costs, that's just fact!

Those charging minimal figures either have thousands of contractors on their books, or it is smaller company who cannot feasible survive long term at such low margins remaining compliant.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X