• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

*rant* Umbrellas - FCSA members illustrations / calcs - 52 working weeks FFS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    an umbrella has no money to do sales calls
    The big ones now definitely do - the monopolisation in the industry is making sure they do!

Comment

Is there anything we can do about this whole monopolisation malarkey? It's becoming tedious!

Lucy - are you still looking to get accredited?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
        Really? Paystream (who many recommend here) refused to give me an illustration by email and insisted that they call me, citing "compliance regulations". They then could not clarify what those "regulations" were. From speaking to others, its because they then give you the hard-sell on the phone. I looked elsewhere.

I had the same experience.

Like you I ruled them out immediately as I explained I wanted a like for like comparison and them providing a financial breakdown and answering my 4 questions via email would allow me to then 'shortlist' ready for phone conversations

Comment

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
          I had the same experience.

Like you I ruled them out immediately as I explained I wanted a like for like comparison and them providing a financial breakdown and answering my 4 questions via email would allow me to then 'shortlist' ready for phone conversations
          Focused Umbrella were the same for me. Refused to answer questions by email so I left them to it.

The guy I spoke to at Paystream couldn't seem to get his figures right over the phone and didn't seem to have even the loosest grasp of basic financials. They then bombarded me with follow-up emails and texts until I told them to stop.

Comment

Seems ridiculous unless you are asking for some ridiculous calculation with pension, tax code, student loan, GAYE (and yes Northern Lad, I said GAYE!).

It has to be down to the simple hard sales push, which if they did a good job in the first place it shouldn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by lucyclarityumbrella View Post
              Seems ridiculous unless you are asking for some ridiculous calculation with pension, tax code, student loan, GAYE (and yes Northern Lad, I said GAYE!).

It has to be down to the simple hard sales push, which if they did a good job in the first place it shouldn't matter.
              My only ask was for a set number of days pcm as I can see different umbrellas use a different number. And I asked for a salary sacrifice calc.

Paystream are quite clever with their wording. They say due to being in a heavily regulated (not sure that is true) industry they have compliance guidelines they have to follow. When you dig deeper you learn it is THEIR internal compliance rules. AKA sales pitch.

That was enough for me to discount them! Ironic as I would have picked up the phone for a call, after getting some of the info and answers first.

I'd have asked you Lucy but as you know, this PSL malarky is a bit of a closed shop :0(

Comment

I'd have asked you Lucy but as you know, this PSL malarky is a bit of a closed shop :0(
                Appreciate the thought

Comment

My initial enquiries with the big umbrellas has not gone too well.

Some haven't responded at all, others say the costs vary depending on who my agency is (confused), and others insist I must have a 15min sales call.

Must be a busy time for them, but it doesn't fill one with huge confidence when all you asked for is the calculation that Clarity give you on their website as standard

Unfortunately I will likely have to use one if I take a role I am eyeing up due to the PSL.

Comment

My initial enquiries with the big umbrellas has not gone too well.

Some haven't responded at all, others say the costs vary depending on who my agency is (confused), and others insist I must have a 15min sales call.

Must be a busy time for them, but it doesn't fill one with huge confidence when all you asked for is the calculation that Clarity give you on their website as standard

Unfortunately I will likely have to use one if I take a role I am eyeing up due to the PSL.
                    Well the umbrella has to cover the "dubious payment for being on the PSL" cost from somewhere but Dolan's view is often accurate - the statement max £95 depending on agency would sound a lot better though.
                    Last edited by eek; 28 February 2020, 10:40.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

others say the costs vary depending on who my agency is (confused)
                      Some umbrella companies have reduced margins for some agencies, depending on what others on the PSL are offering.

If your margin is £95 per month, and others are offering £85 per month, you will be quick to reduce it too.

Kind regards

Zeeshan
                      Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Working...
                      X