• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1 month lay off for operation - can I claim sick pay?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 month lay off for operation - can I claim sick pay?

I'm working as an agency Radiotherapist through an umbrella company currently on a 2 months plus contract.
    I have an operation scheduled for early next month which will mean a one month recovery time unable to work.
    My current contract was due to finish just before the operation but I was offered an extension which I've had to turn down.
    My question is about sick pay.
    I have to end my contract as I'll no longer be able to work, it's not like I can just phone in sick on the day of the op as the op date is already known to me.
    I am lucky in that my father in law can lend my wife and I some cash to get us through the month but can I also claim statutory sick pay for this period or any other benefit?
    As far as I understand the Umbrella company would cover me for any periods of sickness over 3 days but because of the nature of this sickness I have to end my contract so won't actually be working for them at the time.
    So the operation will render me unable to work so I've had to end my contract as I'll be unable to work.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Doesn't your contract have any information on this? Failing that why don't you ask your Umbrella as they are your emoloyer?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi NickA

It would all depend on your contract of employment with the umbrella. You will only be entitled to sick pay until the end of the contract of employment, so if this ends before the operation then no you would not be eligible for sick pay.

Comment

Working...
      X