• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming expenses under brolly in IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming expenses under brolly in IR35

Hi, I'm about to start a new temp contract closer to home and on more money so want to get off to a good start and make life easier for myself. I'm also going to be shareholder in my partner's Ltd company for the first time so not sure if this complicates things or just means I have to do a self assessment at the end of the year.

Do most people just claim mileage (from temp base to service user homes etc) straight through their end clients? (I'm under Danbro and through Reed for a LA temp role). Can I claim wfh allowance for once a week at home - if so, I presume I go directly to my umbrella with this. Also, am I missing anything else - subs / lunch allowance? Stationery? (I've been told I can't include car valeting even if service users make a mess in my car!) Would I put receipts in to my umbrella?
    TIA

PS - I know I can ask my brolly but they aren't open at the weekend and I'm sure they won't tell me if I'm missing something vital. Also - yes I had a limited range of brolly options but I'm happy with getting a decent pension and BUPA cashplan as part of my deal at least, plus they have always paid on time.

Simple answer - you can't claim expenses inside IR35.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Simple answer - you can't claim expenses inside IR35.
      Partly true. You can’t claim mileage from home to the client office; but if they send you to other sites round the UK etc then you can claim that mileage back (just like any other employee).

Claim as much as you can.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Blimey.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Blimey.
          Well yeah - I didn't have time to do a proper answer on a mobile earlier anyway, but the list of apparent misapprehensions in the OP is rather scary - hence the short answer.

There's been three completely unrelated posts recently all with major holes in their understanding. Why do we bother...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            Partly true. You can’t claim mileage from home to the client office; but if they send you to other sites round the UK etc then you can claim that mileage back (just like any other employee).

Claim as much as you can.
            Thanks - hard to get a helpful answer round here as so many people are super smug putting off anyone newer to contracting from commenting

Comment

Well yeah - I didn't have time to do a proper answer on a mobile earlier anyway, but the list of apparent misapprehensions in the OP is rather scary - hence the short answer.

There's been three completely unrelated posts recently all with major holes in their understanding. Why do we bother...
              you don't bother if bother means being genuinely helpful

Comment

Originally posted by Flips View Post
                Thanks - hard to get a helpful answer round here as so many people are super smug putting off anyone newer to contracting from commenting
                If you were in an outside ir35 contract you could claim to-from client office for mileage (up to 24months).
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by Flips View Post
                  you don't bother if bother means being genuinely helpful
                  If you're inside IR35 what I and PG both said is correct and the entire answer. However, your other comments about umbrella company usage and using the other LtdCo took rather more unravelling than I had time for.

If I assume you have two gigs, one for Danbro and one through the other Ltd, then expense through Danbro depends on their policy but will be (or damned well ought to be be) what we said. Through the Ltd, presumably for a separate gig, we can't comment since we don't know its policy nor your relationship with it If, for example, you are a genuine employee then the umbrella rules will apply again but if you're just getting them to raise an invoice for you and then pay you net of PAYE and NICs then it's their call, or if you are a shareholder there are other options...

So don't bitch about not getting black and white answers when you haven't tried to explain the situation clearly enough to give one. It's not like we don't try to answer similar questions based on partial information every few days after all.

But think positively. NLUKs's answer would have been either use the links over on the right where your answers will be found with a little effort, or ask your accountant. Which is again accurate advice, just not all that helpful if you want a one line response

Hope that clarifies...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

But think positively. NLUKs's answer would have been either use the links over on the right where your answers will be found with a little effort, or ask your accountant. Which is again accurate advice, just not all that helpful if you want a one line response.
                    Eh? What you bringing me in to if for. This it your mess.

I'll have you know I'd drafted a long response to the OP cover all possible situations and also cover and other newbie misconceptions or mistakes he might be making by not reading the links or speaking to his accountant...

But now I'm sulking so I'm not posting it.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X