• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Difference between PAYE and Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between PAYE and Umbrella

Hello

Newbie here......

Apologies this has probably already been asked a million times but......

I'm confused between Umbrella and PAYE!

I understand how PAYE is calculated (Personal allowance / Tax / NI) but what's the benefit of an Umbrella company when potentially you are going to pay them approx (£25 per week / £100 per month) just to process your wages. Just seems a bit odd to me, so must be missing something here?

I'm in the process of accepting a new job (40 hour week / £25 per hour) I believe it's inside IR35.

I would be prepared to do Ltd if there would be a significant difference in the bottom line over a 12 month period.

Any comments / advice is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

http://m.paystream.co.uk/umbrella-co...the-difference

Other links are available.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You also need to read all the threads in the Public Sector IR35 section of the forum as they are all about your exact situation.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thank you, I'll have a look

Comment

Originally posted by Cargie View Post
          Hello

Newbie here......

Apologies this has probably already been asked a million times but......

I'm confused between Umbrella and PAYE!

I understand how PAYE is calculated (Personal allowance / Tax / NI) but what's the benefit of an Umbrella company when potentially you are going to pay them approx (£25 per week / £100 per month) just to process your wages. Just seems a bit odd to me, so must be missing something here?

I'm in the process of accepting a new job (40 hour week / £25 per hour) I believe it's inside IR35.

I would be prepared to do Ltd if there would be a significant difference in the bottom line over a 12 month period.

Any comments / advice is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance
          Hi Cargie

Standard PAYE is slightly different to umbrella PAYE in that you should be looking for a higher rate than a standard employee' salary to cover the deductions that come from your contract rate. If you are inside IR35 then you will need to be paid via PAYE, some agencies or end clients will not work with you via your Ltd company as they will may not have the ability to make the tax deductions at source before paying your Ltd company.

If you are inside IR35 then operating Ltd or brolly will make no difference to your take home - they should be the same

Comment

Working...
          X