• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PAYE v Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAYE v Umbrella

Okay I have been offered a short 3 month contract in the NHS which may fill a gap, my choices offered are ( rounded up )
    PAYE £16 via agency, or umbrella £19 ph

Having researched the umbrella route it's right on the cusp of being unviable with the extras payable (employers nat ins, apprentice levi, + umbrella fees. Etc.

Comments anybody ?

For the sake of £3 an hour, I'd go PAYE. Your rate would have to be significantly more via Umbrella to make it worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      For the sake of £3 an hour, I'd go PAYE. Your rate would have to be significantly more via Umbrella to make it worthwhile.
      +1

You're going to lose most of that £3 in employers NI anyway, so go PAYE. You'd get a lot more protection from being PAYE too.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        That's what I have been thinking, it's to close to call, and having spoken to a couple of Umbrellas this afternoon they sort of avoid the question, they of course (as you would expect ) push the umbrella side but this is a relatively low paid contract for a short period of time.

Comment

The additional deductions for umbrella, based on the rate you mention for a 37.5 hour week would be £2.56 per hour!

At CU we don't skirt around things and always happy to answer honestly

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
            At CU we don't skirt around things and always happy to answer honestly
            You would say that though

(It's like deja vu all over again)
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              (It's like deja vu all over again)

Comment

Updating my own thread, ended up I went PAYE, as advised the difference in rate was just not worth the expense of the umbrella, sign of the times unfortunately 20 yrs a contractor and ended up on PAYE still it's only for Two months Two weeks according to my contract 😄. Contracting is being killed by government legislation and the loss of travel and subsistance, and IR35. I have already been asked if I'm prepared to use my own car to commute to another site 51 miles away ! Answer NO ! I'll use the Pool car or not be going at all thanks ! The days of milking the contractor have gone it works both ways !

Comment

Originally posted by Yonmons View Post
                  Okay I have been offered a short 3 month contract in the NHS which may fill a gap, my choices offered are ( rounded up )
                  PAYE £16 via agency, or umbrella £19 ph

Having researched the umbrella route it's right on the cusp of being unviable with the extras payable (employers nat ins, apprentice levi, + umbrella fees. Etc.

Comments anybody ?
                  Hi

Have just run the numbers for you as a comparison based on standard tax code and 37.5 hrs per week.

£19/hr through umbrella Net Pay = £491.61

£16/hr through Agency PAYE Net Pay= £471.07

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Yonmons View Post
                    I have already been asked if I'm prepared to use my own car to commute to another site 51 miles away !
                    Sure, 45p a mile after deducting usual commute right...

Comment

Working...
                    X