• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brit living in France, starting a contract in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brit living in France, starting a contract in the UK

Hi - new to this site, which looks pretty good, with lots of useful info!
    I'm due to start a new contract based in London on 18 Sept and I'm looking for an umbrella company that can do payroll etc but also advise on tax matters and compliance when I have the fun job of doing my French tax return next year.
    Anyone been in the same situation or able to advise on a suitable umbrella company?
    Many thanks.

Originally posted by Marc of Distinction View Post
    Hi - new to this site, which looks pretty good, with lots of useful info!
    I'm due to start a new contract based in London on 18 Sept and I'm looking for an umbrella company that can do payroll etc but also advise on tax matters and compliance when I have the fun job of doing my French tax return next year.
    Anyone been in the same situation or able to advise on a suitable umbrella company?
    Many thanks.
    Might be best to try a company like International Umbrella, who have experience of overseas contracting, rather than a UK brolly. Not sure if they can, but could be worth a try
    It would also be beneficial to ensure you speak with HMRC who will determine your tax residency, at that point you can make a decision as to who may be able to help.

Comment

Thanks, I will have a look at them. There is conflicting advice out there, with some UK umbrella companies saying you have to go through PAYE and cannot claim expenses and some French "portage" companies saying you can work in the UK as a foreign secondment and stay within the French system and claim expenses. Very confusing!!

Comment

Originally posted by Marc of Distinction View Post
        Thanks, I will have a look at them. There is conflicting advice out there, with some UK umbrella companies saying you have to go through PAYE and cannot claim expenses and some French "portage" companies saying you can work in the UK as a foreign secondment and stay within the French system and claim expenses. Very confusing!!
        It is safer to tax yourself in the UK. That way you can't do anything wrong, you declare it in France and they take into account tax paid in the UK. If you second yourself to the UK via a French company, HMRC might come after you. The rules aren't clear for short term contracts and HMRC do go after offshored contractors.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thanks a lot for your feedback. I must say that having now spoken to several companies (including the one kindly recommended above) I would tend to agree with you and so this is the route I will probably follow.

Comment

But if you live in France, isn't it better to use a French umbrella (portage salariel)?

That way you're in the French system for healthcare, pensions (much more beneficial than UK), etc.

Comment

Working...
            X