• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lost at sea...Inside IR35.what % should I expect to take home?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    There is no such thing as an "enhanced Tax efficient umbrella" what there is are normal umbrellas and smooth talking scam artists who will take 10-15% of your money and leave you with a blooming large tax bill 1-5 years away and a long term black mark in your records within HMRC...
    This sounds like a normal day in the office for me - same old conversation, I have this is on repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by Brummie View Post
      One thing I learned during the process, is that few umbrella companies said that I can claim expenses etc upon submission of receipts. But they also said, I need to workout and tell them a fixed number as an expense ahead. This number is fixed and cannot be changed. That fixed amount will be deducted and any balance will be kept by the umbrella. For e.g. if you project your monthly expense as £1000, umbrella will deduct this and pay you based on your receipts. If your receipts are worth £400, you will be deducted £1000, you get paid £400, the balance £600 would be taken by them. I guess they call it as fixed expense model or something. But I felt it was bit fishy, so didn't go with that option.
      As far as our legal support was concerned, operating in this way meant that if they tried to repay the expenses, it could be deemed an unlawful deduction of earnings, hence they are not paid back - in my mind completely wrong and the contractors are even worse off

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
        This sounds like a normal day in the office for me - same old conversation, I have this is on repeat!
        I just wish I knew what the solution was. Holding agencies responsible for any lost tax feels like just about the only option.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          I just wish I knew what the solution was. Holding agencies responsible for any lost tax feels like just about the only option.
          HMRC providing some definitive guidelines and approval for umbrella's might be a start, rather than a "sorry we cannot advise on whether this way of operating is compliant or not" answer - but then again pigs have a better chance of flying!

Comment

HMRC providing some definitive guidelines and approval for umbrella's might be a start, rather than a "sorry we cannot advise on whether this way of operating is compliant or not" answer - but then again pigs have a better chance of flying!
            Now may be a good time to start pushing for that as the Taylor review officially condones the work umbrellas do....
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Happy to have a chat and explain it to you kysto.
              Hey Lucy,

Thanks, As i said nothing is on concrete yet but should it be, I'll be in touch.

Comment

Working...
              X