• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension contributions when working through an Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Actually, it sounds like it's your loss, not theirs.
    Indeed. Agencies will be getting kickbacks from who they have on the PSL so no loss at all. Quite the opposite.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

i am sure not all agencies will be getting "kick backs" for their PSL - some will though i am sure.

I wonder if the pension providers are offering a similar deal to the umbrella though? Umbrella "A" picks one provider.. for what reason.. why not make the payment into the personal scheme

Comment

Originally posted by moggy View Post
        I wonder if the pension providers are offering a similar deal to the umbrella though? Umbrella "A" picks one provider.. for what reason.. why not make the payment into the personal scheme
        We get nothing from the pension provider and I think there is some legislation against this or there is with IFA's. We stick with our group pension scheme so that it doesn't become an administrative nightmare for all parties, both with the pension provider uploads and pensions regulator when it comes to reporting requirements for it all. We also chose it as Scottish Widows have no exit fees, so once a contractor has finished their assignment, they are free to move it to existing pensions, or as we have seen many transfer across to the Scottish Widows one

Comment

i am sure not all agencies will be getting "kick backs" for their PSL - some will though i am sure.
          If they have a completely inflexible list I am pretty sure the the vast majority will be. Why else would they be so inflexible? Particularly if it's the same big ones coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
            Have you seen any government docs on this?
            There was an hmrc consultation last august on salary sacrifice in general. This caused some changes. Hmrc then stated saliry sacrifice on pension would continue to be allowed as employer contributions.

I think therefore that there is a possibility of it being reviewed in due course.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
              I think therefore that there is a possibility of it being reviewed in due course.
              I'll see if I can do some digging

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                If they have a completely inflexible list I am pretty sure the the vast majority will be. Why else would they be so inflexible? Particularly if it's the same big ones coming up.
                My guess would be:

Regarding the same big ones always coming up, If the Umbrella pay a person in a non-compliant fashion the agency would be liable. So why compliance check a small company when you can just pick the big players, I would guess they all charge similar amounts.

They also benefit from having a relationship with the company paying their temps, who earn them much more than any "kick back"

I'd like to think some are not in it for just the money, and small fry too.

Comment

My guess would be:

Regarding the same big ones always coming up, If the Umbrella pay a person in a non-compliant fashion the agency would be liable. So why compliance check a small company when you can just pick the big players, I would guess they all charge similar amounts.

They also benefit from having a relationship with the company paying their temps, who earn them much more than any "kick back"

I'd like to think some are not in it for just the money, and small fry too.
                  You forget you are talking about agents here. They'd sell their own mothers false teeth if they could.

But if you like that nice thought then keep it. Am sure there are a few out there that fit your model.

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
                    I'll see if I can do some digging
                    https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...nefits-in-kind

Comment

Working...
                    X