• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie for only 3 months contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie for only 3 months contract

Hi guys!
    This is my first post. I have got a 3 months contract with the promise of getting permanent afterwards. They told me they needed someone ASAP (talked with them this morning and starting tomorrow) and it is faster for them to hire someone in a contract basis than permanent.

It is my first contract and it will be only for 3 months, I have read about the new SDC thing and I am guessing that I will be inside it with this situation. Does that mean that I won´t be able to ask for any expenses at all?

Which Umbrella company do you recommend? I´ve been looking at Cloud9, Crystal and Smartwork as they have good customer reviews, what do you think about them? do you recommend any other? Any advice would be welcome!!

Thank you!

Search for recommendations here. Don't go near anything that offers you more take home than the standard.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Hi jesbelga, if you want me to talk you through things, then give me a shout and I would be more than happy to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jesbelga View Post

It is my first contract and it will be only for 3 months, I have read about the new SDC thing and I am guessing that I will be inside it with this situation. Does that mean that I won´t be able to ask for any expenses at all?
        Just on the SDC note - even if you are not deemed to be under Supervision, Direction and Control by the end client, you will need to submit these expenses via self-assessment at the end of the financial year. No umbrella company can offer to reimburse these for tax relief purposes via salary sacrifice anymore - sorry But yes if you are under SDC, then no expenses will be allowable. HTH

Comment

I'd recommend Contractor Umbrella so I can claim my shiny new iPad for the referral.....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Search for recommendations here. Don't go near anything that offers you more take home than the standard.
            Not too sure he'll know what the standard is TBH.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Take a look at OrangeGenie.

Well done and good luck.
              one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
                Just on the SDC note - even if you are not deemed to be under Supervision, Direction and Control by the end client, you will need to submit these expenses via self-assessment at the end of the financial year. No umbrella company can offer to reimburse these for tax relief purposes via salary sacrifice anymore - sorry But yes if you are under SDC, then no expenses will be allowable. HTH
                Thank you Lucy,
                I have been reading about all of this during all the morning but I still feel very lost. I am not sure what I need to look at in an umbrella company, they all look the same to me! and I am not sure about basic things like insurance, holdays, pension, etc...

[QUOTE=northernladuk
                Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Not too sure he'll know what the standard is TBH.[/QUOTE]

She and no, I don´t know what the standard is

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I'd recommend Contractor Umbrella so I can claim my shiny new iPad for the referral.....

Comment

Ehmm... I have replied twice but they don´t appear in the thread... so you will probably see three answers later...

Thank you Lucy, I am very lost right now. I have been reading about this during the morning but there are still many things I don´t know and others that I haven´t even thought about. What should I look at in an umbrella company? they all look the same to me! and basics things like insurance, pension, sick pay, holiday, etc...

And no, I don´t know what the standard is either

Comment

Working...
                    X