• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice on umbrella company (choice of 8)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on umbrella company (choice of 8)

Hi,

Can anyone advise on which of the 8 umbrella companies below is best to go with?
    For the past 10 years I had been working though Giant, have no real complaints but am about to start a new contract and the agency have said they no longer work with them so need to pick one from their approved list:

Liquid Friday
    Orange Genie
    Brookson
    Danbury
    Paystream
    i-paye
    ww w.umbrella.co.uk
    Champion Contractors

I would rather not change but as I say, agency is forcing it. Annoyingly my previous contract was with the same agency and umbrella.

I was beyond 2 years on my previous contract when the latest subsistence &travel changes came in so didn't pay much attention at the time, but am I correct in that with an umbrella you can no longer claim for either? My contract will all be at the one site. Are umbrellas now really just processing your pay with no expenses.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Last edited by cojak; 2 October 2016, 18:25. Reason: Removed links

Hi Bmnz

If you find your choices on this list, they should be ok (I notice the i-Paye is on there for example).

Take a look at that website, you'll be able to find the page for ineligible umbrellas there as well.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I would also carefully push back to the agency as well. It's more than likely they will be taking a kick back from those on the list and it shouldn't matter to them who you are with. Depends on whether you feel comfortable sticking your neck out a little bit.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yeah, they really don't seem to keen on budging, got the impression it's for legal reasons.

One other option I may have is to go agency PAYE. Would that be viable? Given that you can no longer claim T&S expenses, should I consider going that route?

Comment

Originally posted by bmnz View Post
          Yeah, they really don't seem to keen on budging, got the impression it's for legal reasons.

One other option I may have is to go agency PAYE. Would that be viable? Given that you can no longer claim T&S expenses, should I consider going that route?
          Make sure that they actually pay the amount of tax due to HMRC. Don't get sucked into them saying they do and then you get a massive bill from HMRC a few years down the line.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by bmnz View Post
            One other option I may have is to go agency PAYE. Would that be viable
            You should be given two different rates between Umbrella and PAYE, you will need to look at the additional costs you are incurring operating via an umbrella compared to your rate PAYE. Check to see the uplift is enough to cover and then work out if you are better off financially. The umbrella you choose should be able to help you work that out too

Comment

Working...
            X