• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone used ADVANCE as an umbrella?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone used ADVANCE as an umbrella?

Hi,

I'm completely new to the Ltd/Umbrella world of employment.

Has anyone used w ww.advance.online before? The were recommended by an agency who I secured a job through, but I said I would look into them. Then out of blue I received a call from Advance about registering my details.

I can't seem to find any reviews about them, and their Facebook/Twitter accounts are completely made up company posts. Also looked on Companies House and it looks like they have only been going since May 2015.

They also said that there would be a weekly charge of £25.95, and that would be it, no additional fees. Does that sound about right, or this a common thing for Umbrella companies only to pile on hidden charges.

Any information or advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers
    Last edited by mikat; 7 June 2016, 14:08. Reason: removed company link

Hi Mikat, welcome to ContractorUK.

Who is the agent?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I'm always wary of trusting my money to a company that has no track history - no published accounts because they are new is no bad thing, but I'd be running a credit check when dealing with a new company like this.

Comment

Do the sensible thing and go with Contractor Umbrella. I bet their charges are within a couple of quid of the other, unknown, risky (?) company.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Hi Mikat, welcome to ContractorUK.

Who is the agent?
          Hi WTFH,

Sorry for the delay in answering. The agency is Adam Recruitment.

I got back with in touch with Advance with a few questions, such as joining/leaving fees, NI contributions etc. They seemed pretty open with answering my questions, stating actual figures for NI's for the daily rate I would receive. Apart from when I asked how long they had been in operation for, to which they suggested I should look on their website.

I should also say that the agency were forthcoming about picking an Umbrella company, suggesting I do some research also. But they tend to use Advance for such matters. I think I might be worrying a little too much, but best to check.

I guess I was hopeful that someone on the site might have previous experience with them.

Comment

Makes no sense to me at all when you can effectively remove the risk of an unknown brolly very simply. But it's your choice.

Comment

Hi Mikat,

The weekly charge of £25.95 that they are asking for was about average before the April 2016 legislative changes. Following these changes, many operators have chosen not to reduce their fees in order to compensate contractors for their likely loss of T&S relief - it looks to me like Advance falls into this category. In my opinion it is difficult in most circumstances to justify fees as high as this for umbrella in the current market. There are many operators out there who have taken steps to significantly reduce their fees in adopting variable percentage rates for example, which for most contractors will charge significantly less than what Advance are looking for. FPS Group would be happy to help if you need any further guidance.

All the best
              Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Matt FPSGroup View Post
                Hi Mikat,

The weekly charge of £25.95 that they are asking for was about average before the April 2016 legislative changes. Following these changes, many operators have chosen not to reduce their fees in order to compensate contractors for their likely loss of T&S relief - it looks to me like Advance falls into this category. In my opinion it is difficult in most circumstances to justify fees as high as this for umbrella in the current market. There are many operators out there who have taken steps to significantly reduce their fees in adopting variable percentage rates for example, which for most contractors will charge significantly less than what Advance are looking for. FPS Group would be happy to help if you need any further guidance.

All the best
                Matt
                You're IoM based? I've read the brochure and it makes very interesting reading. The Flex arrangement has MSC written all over it IMO.
                Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 9 June 2016, 06:46.

Comment

Fred, Contractors are employed by UK limited companies with UK banking arrangements – no money is transferred offshore. As the contractors aren’t directors and their money only ever gets paid to them under PAYE, there is no MSC risk at all. Flex is simply a low cost, simple and compliant PAYE solution. That’s why we are on the preferred supplier lists for most of the top agencies in the UK.

Comment

Begs the question then, if the employees are subject to PAYE then how can they claim expenses as that has been stopped for all other employees?

Comment

Working...
                    X