• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella Companies mentioned on Money Box (R4) today.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella Companies mentioned on Money Box (R4) today.

There was an item on today's (4th June) Moneybox about umbrella companies.

It involved some unfortunate teacher who is working through one & was amazed to find she was paying employer's ER as well as employee's ER.

As is usual it didn't shed much light on the issue, it seemingly being a completely novel arrangement that the Beeb had never previously encountered.

Did anyone else hear it?

It's probly on iplayer by now.

I dunno, it seemed as delusional as the "all the company's money is my money" brigade.

It's showing a remarkable ignorance of how stuff works.

And an frightening indication of how the lower paid are screwed by Hector and umbrella companies.

What got me is the feigned (or otherwise) amazement that someone has to pay the employer's NI.

And the oik seemingly unaware that no agency will touch someone who's genuinely registered as "self employed" with a tulipty stick.

And it's been like that for knocking on for 40 years.

I somehow expected more from a programme that seems to investigate the ins & outs of a gnat's arse on other subjects.

But then again, I'm an so what do I know*?

*more than some of those on the prog from the sounds of it.
    Last edited by zeitghost; 30 June 2017, 13:32.

Linky - BBC Radio 4 - Money Box, National Insurance - how some 'umbrella' contractors pay twice

Maybe worth writing to Moneybox and telling them that it happens at all "proper" umbrella companies.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

And an frightening indication of how the lower paid are screwed by Hector and umbrella companies.
      Listened to it and all the teacher in their example was moaning about was I want to be paid through PAYE.

Well if she was she would be on exactly minimum wage. This way she gets to find out who exactly pays the NI.

Also if she is in a shortage subject after at least a year she would be able to get a permanent job at one of the schools she is a supply teacher at.

The only teachers I know who didn't want this were ones near retirement and they were actually taking their pensions.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Linky - BBC Radio 4 - Money Box, National Insurance - how some 'umbrella' contractors pay twice

Maybe worth writing to Moneybox and telling them that it happens at all "proper" umbrella companies.
        I tried to contact Moneybox but surprisingly enough they did not respond - guessing they only want one side of the story and no interest in understandng how a compliant umbrella operates (and has done over the last 14 years)

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
          I tried to contact Moneybox but surprisingly enough they did not respond - guessing they only want one side of the story and no interest in understandng how a compliant umbrella operates (and has done over the last 14 years)
          If the head of PRISM can't explain how an umbrella company works well, then it doesn't bode well for the trade association.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
            If the head of PRISM can't explain how an umbrella company works well, then it doesn't bode well for the trade association.
            I think it depends who they represent. Don't forget it is very easy to claim you represent people, far harder to get them to accept that you represent them.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

I somehow expected more from a programme that seems to investigate the ins & outs of a gnat's arse on other subjects.
              I wrote a very detailed email to Paul Lewis from Moneybox and not even a whiff of a response, how rude! Appears they are not interested in understanding the difference between true contractors and agency workers

Comment

Paul Lewis

Bit of a shame Lucy but all he seems to be interested in is generating a story and trying to sensationalise. Wouldn't expect anything else from a hack!

It's a shame as could have been a good article with the correct understanding and a journo that knew what they were on about to present both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
                  I wrote a very detailed email to Paul Lewis from Moneybox and not even a whiff of a response, how rude! Appears they are not interested in understanding the difference between true contractors and agency workers
                  That's the "Beeb" for you, no surprises their then

Comment

In early retirement, both my parents (teachers all their working lives) worked as supply teachers and were fully aware that the ernic came out of their overall fee.

I guess some folks are just thick.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X