• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help with signing up to an umbrella company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with signing up to an umbrella company

So I am going into my first ever contracting role which is a 3 month rolling contract. I will be going through an agency but they said I need to find my own umbrella company. I have been looking around at different companies but some of them seem to take quite a big chunk of money out of the pay. Can anyone please recommend some good umbrella companies that will bring me the maximum pay. I am not too bothered about a personal accountant and so on, as long as I know that I will be paid on time and it will be done all properly that's all that matters right now.

One company I found is One Consulting - they have very good rates from speaking to the guy but I cant find any reviews on them or anything. Checking the company on Companies House seems to show that they only started running last year.

If anyone could please give me some advice, would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 9 May 2016, 09:43. Reason: URL Removed

Originally posted by alex2900512 View Post
    So I am going into my first ever contracting role which is a 3 month rolling contract. I will be going through an agency but they said I need to find my own umbrella company. I have been looking around at different companies but some of them seem to take quite a big chunk of money out of the pay. Can anyone please recommend some good umbrella companies that will bring me the maximum pay. I am not too bothered about a personal accountant and so on, as long as I know that I will be paid on time and it will be done all properly that's all that matters right now.

One company I found is One Consulting - they have very good rates from speaking to the guy but I cant find any reviews on them or anything. Checking the company on Companies House seems to show that they only started running last year.

If anyone could please give me some advice, would be much appreciated.
    Not your company is it?
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 9 May 2016, 09:43.

Comment

Speak to contractor umbrella. Ask for Lucy. She's the MD so will probably put you on to someone else but she loves speaking to all her customers personally!!
      Lucy posts on here and Contractor Umbrella have been helpful on here and fighting HMRC.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Not your company is it?
        no its not.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Speak to contractor umbrella. Ask for Lucy. She's the MD so will probably put you on to someone else but she loves speaking to all her customers personally!!
          Lucy posts on here and Contractor Umbrella have been helpful on here and fighting HMRC.
          I have checked them but their rates seem very high? It works out as almost 300 a month less compared to PAYE.

Comment

I have checked them but their rates seem very high? It works out as almost 300 a month less compared to PAYE.
            Dunno. I'd be speaking to them to find out why and see what I'm missing if the figures are as you say. They aren't dodgy so won't be ripping you off so take the time to find out what's happening IMO.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Dunno. I'd be speaking to them to find out why and see what I'm missing if the figures are as you say. They aren't dodgy so won't be ripping you off so take the time to find out what's happening IMO.
              yh ill give them call tomorrow. Not going to hurt to find out.

Comment

yh ill give them call tomorrow. Not going to hurt to find out.
                Hi alex, I would be interested to find out how someone can be offering more anyway.... I would definitely check the small print, some are now making the assumption you are not under SDC and including expenses within the calculation - even though you would have you would have to claim back via SA if you were actually eligible, so technically not what you would actually see on your payslip!

NorthernLad I would never palm anyone off

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
                  Hi alex, I would be interested to find out how someone can be offering more anyway.... I would definitely check the small print, some are now making the assumption you are not under SDC and including expenses within the calculation - even though you would have you would have to claim back via SA if you were actually eligible, so technically not what you would actually see on your payslip!

NorthernLad I would never palm anyone off
                  spoken to one of the guys on phone and he said the figure on internet is correct. Its lower than PAYE because I have to also pay the employers NI, which is extremely stupid tbh.

Comment

spoken to one of the guys on phone and he said the figure on internet is correct. Its lower than PAYE because I have to also pay the employers NI, which is extremely stupid tbh.
                    Someone has to pay it, and umbrella companies don't make enough margin to pay it for you.

If you're comparing umbrellas, the only thing that a reputable umbrella can save you is on their processing fee - anyone else who says that they can save you loads doing other things is lying. Compare the processing fee and the service you get, and that's the important thing. Anything else is immaterial.

Comment

Working...
                    X