• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A simple statement declaring "No SDC" will NOT suffice as evidence

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A simple statement declaring "No SDC" will NOT suffice as evidence

At last we have the SDC guidance released by HMRC on the day the legislation comes into force...

It appears as if the elusive EDM model will be short lived and Umbrella's looking to simply gain a declaration of no SDC may have to rethink!

"HMRC does not consider signed waivers and generic statements that the manner in which the worker personally provides the services is not subject to (or to a right of) SDC as satisfactory evidence."

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
    At last we have the SDC guidance released by HMRC on the day the legislation comes into force...

It appears as if the elusive EDM model will be short lived and Umbrella's looking to simply gain a declaration of no SDC may have to rethink!

"HMRC does not consider signed waivers and generic statements that the manner in which the worker personally provides the services is not subject to (or to a right of) SDC as satisfactory evidence."
    Sorry for the typo in the title - its been a long day

Comment

Sorry for the typo in the title - its been a long day
      What typo would that be?
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

That links to a "From 6 April 2014" statement. Am I missing something?
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Yeah, they mentioned that in the notes that accompanied the budget documents (or the draft Finance Bill, I don't recall). This is the specific ESM you're referring to:

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...manual/esm2042

HMRC do not consider a signed declaration from the worker that simply states they are not subject to (or to a right of) supervision, direction, or control by anyone constitutes sufficient evidence for the purposes of the Agency Legislation.
          Was that paragraph actually inserted on the last edit (9 March) though? I don't recall if this is new guidance about SDC...

BTW, for anyone that may be confused when reading through this, note that the requirements of the Agency Legislation don't apply to PAYE salary received from a PSC or to non-employment income (dividends).

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            That links to a "From 6 April 2014" statement. Am I missing something?
            Yep, it's potentially confusing if you don't know the context. This is a reference to SDC in the context of the Agency Legislation (as applicable from April 2014), which is in a different part of the ITEPA 2003 to regulations w/r to T&S (as applicable from April 2016).

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ion-or-control
              Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Thanks. I particularly liked this part:

There’s no definition of the meaning of the SDC test in law. For the purposes of the agency and travel and subsistence legislation, the SDC test is:
                • a test in isolation – there might be many indicators that suggest the SDC test is met, none of the other employment status indicators, for example, financial risk, the right to personal service etc, are considered when applying the SDC test, and
                • not a question of extent; the SDC test is either met or it isn’t

Good luck with the last bullet. I think they're getting confused between an outcome and an evidentiary process that leads to an outcome. There are no strict deeming criteria, so there is no obvious route between the evidence and outcome. In other words, it is for case law to determine the question of sufficiency and whether "the SDC test is either met or isn't". I love the spin they put on everything

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  In other words, it is for case law to determine the question of sufficiency and whether "the SDC test is either met or isn't". I love the spin they put on everything
                  Reminiscent of the original Dim Prawn saying 16 years ago that there is no uncertainty concerning IR35 - you're either in it, or you're not.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Reminiscent of the original Dim Prawn saying 16 years ago that there is no uncertainty concerning IR35 - you're either in it, or you're not.
                    Yes, exactly.

Comment

Working...
                    X