• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to contracting

Hi All,
    I'm new to contracting (IT) and have managed to secure a 6 month assignment but need to engage with an umbrella, any recommendations please?

Lisa who is the MD of Contractor Umbrella posts on here regularly and has fought tirelessly for contractors. I'd go straight to them without a doubt.
    http://www.contractorumbrella.com/
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Boy View Post
      Hi All,
      I'm new to contracting (IT) and have managed to secure a 6 month assignment but need to engage with an umbrella, any recommendations please?
      Try Orange Genie.

Good luck!

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Lisa who is the MD of Contractor Umbrella posts on here regularly and has fought tirelessly for contractors. I'd go straight to them without a doubt.
        PAYE Umbrella Companies for UK Contractors | Contractor Umbrella Company
        Bless you
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Before you engage an Umbrella as you are "New to contracting" you are aware of the changes to Travel and subsistance claims courtesy of the Chancellor from 6th April this year arnt you ? Make sure you are aware and make a decision dependant on your circumstances.

Comment

As Yonmons says, as you are new to all this, you do need to be aware that there are proposed changes to legislation on tax relief for travel and subsistence expenses; these are due to be finalised next month - we are hoping to receive guidance sometime in the near future (we are waiting on HMRC who have a tendency to be glacially slow!)

As it stands - if you work through an intermediary (agency/umbrella) and you are considered to be under the supervision, direction or control of anyone in the contractual chain you will not be entitled to tax relief on your travel and subsistence expenses. If you work through a Limited Company (PSC) you will also not be entitled to claim if your working practices put you inside IR35. Only if you are outside IR35 can you continue to claim

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

I would second Lisa; very helpful even without my being a client.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                Kind of you - thanks

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                  Too late buster. Cheque already has my name on it and is in the post!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

IQ

IQ is a good one

Comment

Working...
                    X