• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella Contract of Employment?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella Contract of Employment?

Hi all

I recently did 2 days work through an agency (I have never worked for/through an agency before). About a week later I contacted the agency regarding payment and I was passed from "pillar to post" for 3 days trying to get info from them? They stated in the end that an "Umbrella Company" would contact me in reference to payment. I received a call from the Umbrella Company who took my details. The next day I received an email with a "Contract of Employment" attached for me to sign.
    It took me an hour and half to read and I was confused at the end. I replied back via email to the Umbrella Company stating that I was not willing to sign anything that I do not understand?

I have heard nothing back since yesterday?

Are these "Contracts of Employment" the "norm" and I am just being anal?

I would be grateful of any replies!

Did you not at least sort out how you were going to be paid first ? I appreciate it was a bit of a rush.

Are you operating with a LTD? If so why can you not just invoice them ?

Other than that you will need an Umbrella. What is it about the contract you don't understand ? It should be a fairly normal contract of employment.

Comment

This wouldn't be supply teaching would it?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wez View Post
        Hi all

I recently did 2 days work through an agency (I have never worked for/through an agency before). About a week later I contacted the agency regarding payment and I was passed from "pillar to post" for 3 days trying to get info from them? They stated in the end that an "Umbrella Company" would contact me in reference to payment. I received a call from the Umbrella Company who took my details. The next day I received an email with a "Contract of Employment" attached for me to sign.
        It took me an hour and half to read and I was confused at the end. I replied back via email to the Umbrella Company stating that I was not willing to sign anything that I do not understand?

I have heard nothing back since yesterday?

Are these "Contracts of Employment" the "norm" and I am just being anal?

I would be grateful of any replies!
        Hi Wez
        If you have any queries, then PM me and I will see if I can help... I assume you have more than just a few days work, otherwise working through an umbrella for this payment is absurd! That said I would worry if the umbrella cannot explain things to you

Comment

My partner did some supply teaching and their standard process was to put the person on to Key Systems who are an umbrella. She got put on to them for a 1/2 day assignment she did. Apparently quite a few supply teachers are through this set up. Works in the long-run but does look a bit absurd if you look at each assignment individually.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 9 December 2015, 19:48.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Works in the long-run but does look a bit absurd if you look at each favor two days individually.
            Not sure how they work this to deal with the obligations in the contract of employment, or any PBA requirements

Comment

Working...
            X