• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whats the Future for the Umbrella Companies ? (Loss of T&S)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the Future for the Umbrella Companies ? (Loss of T&S)

With the loss of T&S from April next year what is the future for the brolly ? I already got an email from my brolly Paystream last night over this, with an attached survey, basically concluding with have I ever considered a PSC ?

IMHO I am riding this gig out I am working on until April, then thats me, the only reason TBH I took the role and used a brolly was I could claim my T&S, as a "veteran contractor" (if there is such a thing) the brolly suited my purpose at the time. The days may well be at an end of them being viable for most contractors.
    Last edited by Yonmons; 26 November 2015, 08:29.

They don't have a future!

Some, because they have no idea, will use them but essentially they will be paying £1,000 a year just for them to process the payslip.

If I was a client, and a PSC is not an option, I would go direct with the agency.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Brollies existed before T&S was allowable so there's no reason why they shouldn't continue to exist after the new legislation is brought in - people use them because it's a lot less hassle and responsibility than running a PSC. The only thing I think we will see is a shift in the business model so that what will end up being on offer is employed for tax purposes but not for employment purposes
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Brollies did exist but they were hardly used and not covering the tens of thousands of clients there are now, neither did they cover lower paid workers such as farm workers, construction etc.
        "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
          Brollies did exist but they were hardly used and not covering the tens of thousands of clients there are now, neither did they cover lower paid workers such as farm workers, construction etc.
          True. If they'd stuck to high end IT contractors we wouldn't be where we are now with all this
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
          X