• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Umbrella Notice Period - Back to Perm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umbrella Notice Period - Back to Perm

Hello,

Hope someone can help shed some light from experience on how to handle notice periods moving from umbrella back to perm.

I'm coming to the end of a contract (24th Dec), it's my second contract via an umbrella, and considering perm roles for the new year - lots of perm opportunities available and change in my circumstances means it's a more attractive option right now.

It looks like I've got a 4 week notice period with my umbrella, I'm currently being paid weekly but on 30 day terms (via an agency to my umbrella) therefore my last week's pay up to 24th Dec will likely be paid around 24th January.

If I find a perm position to start early January, how does that impact my notice period? I'm assuming I can give notice once I've got a contract confirmed, and will complete my assignment up to 24th Dec - however if I start a perm role early Jan (when I'll still be due weekly pay from umbrella, and potentially still under notice), will the umbrella still be able to process my pay into January?

Thanks for your help!

Your 4 week notice period more than likely reflects what's in the upper contract between the Umbrella & the Agent, i.e. they don't want to be liable if you FO early from a gig

Once you've completed the contract in December, there shouldn't be an issue giving immediate notice (the Umbrella doesn't have any work for you, so what do they gain by enforcing a notice period?)

You may have to ask you new employer to use an emergency tax code until the Umbrella issues a P45 after your final payroll

Comment

As the Umbrella is your employeer you should really ask them first. I can understand you'd be nervous asking about leaving but it's all contracted and happens so it won't cause issues you speaking to them.

I forget what the current situation but ask them what there expectation of expenses is if you are going to leave. I can't remember if the last client becomes your permanent workplace so affects expenses.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X