• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business trip flight expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business trip flight expenses

I am due to fly abroad for a 3 month business trip as a consultant, on invitation. I have the visas and accommodation and flights sorted. The agreement I have in place is that the client is providing my accommodation and the initial flight out there, and the final return. Everything else I would have to pay for of course.

With Christmas coming up I am obviously looking to come back home for Christmas to see my family whilst the office is closed for the festive period. I would expect that this would be an allowable expense, the return flight to London, but I am being told that it is not.

Can anyone explain to me why this would be the case when HMRC clearly states that it is allowable, as the expense is wholly and exclusively incurred for business purposes, I should be perfectly entitled to claim travel costs between my home and a temporary place of business.

I see these as being relevant
    Travelling expenses: employees working abroad: expenses that may be deducted: example
    Foreign travel rules: duties performed partly abroad: employee's journeys from and to the United Kingdom

And (not the Umbrella Company I use)
    Contractor expenses
    Last edited by Minklet; 10 November 2015, 14:17.

This is a difficult one but, basically, your trip home would not be considered wholly and exclusively incurred as a result of the contract; whilst we can all appreciate that you want to spend Christmas with your family, the only reason that you are making the trip is to visit them - the cost of the journey is not being incurred because business is sending you back to the UK. If the company were to send you back for a couple of weeks to do some work in their UK office and, in that time you paid your family a visit, the expense would be allowable because there was a business reason for the cost being incurred.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

When you work for a company, you're bound by their expense policy.

Ask your employer if they will reconsider.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        This is a difficult one but, basically, your trip home would not be considered wholly and exclusively incurred as a result of the contract; whilst we can all appreciate that you want to spend Christmas with your family, the only reason that you are making the trip is to visit them - the cost of the journey is not being incurred because business is sending you back to the UK. If the company were to send you back for a couple of weeks to do some work in their UK office and, in that time you paid your family a visit, the expense would be allowable because there was a business reason for the cost being incurred.
        Surely however, this is the wrong way of thinking about it? I don't live in this country, I live in the UK. So if I was working Monday - Friday abroad and then flying home on the weekend every week, would that not be a business expense? BTW, the office is closed for the festive period. And whilst i am seeing my family, I am in fact just going home, it's just that they happen to also be there.

What if the first return flight that the company paid for was from outbound December 1st, and inbound 21st. Then I bought a return from outbound 1st January, inbound February...would that be a business expense. I might be able to arrange that instead.

It just seems a bit absurd tbh, if I was heading home from Edinburgh it would be an expense I think?
        Last edited by Minklet; 10 November 2015, 16:06.

Comment

I know it seems odd but this is the way that HMRC think about things - it is a grey area and you could certainly double check with HMRC but, based on my 12 years experience I don't think they'd consider a trip home for Xmas as business expense
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

On that basis no homeward travel would be allowed.

Gig in London - business travel to get there but the business gains no benefit from you going home at the end of the day, return trip not wholly and exclusively for business?

The client won't pay for hotels over the period so the choice for the business if pay for flight home or pay for hotel?

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
              I know it seems odd but this is the way that HMRC think about things - it is a grey area and you could certainly double check with HMRC but, based on my 12 years experience I don't think they'd consider a trip home for Xmas as business expense
              I doubt you are correct. If you are then every major consultancy in the country is breaking the tax rules. The tax man is probably confused, and misguided.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
                I doubt you are correct. If you are then every major consultancy in the country is breaking the tax rules. The tax man is probably confused, and misguided.
                Um, nope.

The contract is abroad. That means the flights for Christmas are NOT business, but actually a holiday.
                While the OP considers them "business flights", the contract says otherwise.

If the OP was flying home every weekend, then they might be able to argue that they were still based in the UK, but they aren't.

If HMRC considered them business flights, then all holidays while contracting could be written off as business expenses as long as you flew from an airport in the same country as your client.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

If the employer says "you can't claim this as an expense" then isn't that the end of the argument?

Or at least it is until the OP completes their self assessment and argues it at that stage with HMRC.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Don't mix up the difference between a consultancy allowing flights and them claiming the tax back on it. You can pay for anything you want. It's whether you can claim the relief on it which is the question.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X