• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pay Breakdown - Umbrella Company - £130pd - your thoughts on my takehome pay?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pay Breakdown - Umbrella Company - £130pd - your thoughts on my takehome pay?

Hi,

I'm hoping to do a crossreference from somebody in a similar contract to myself, as my take home pay is significantly less than I had hoped.

- I'm providing IT Analyst services to a client and using an umbrella company
    - My rate is £130pd, my agency charge me at £160pd
    - I have been here 8 weeks now, working a varying 3-5 days a week
    - My daily expenses are only £10pd food, and 18 miles commute per day calculated at £8.10
    - My pay breakdown is below

Thanks.

CALCULATION OF NET PAYMENT:

Time Worked 5.00 @
    Rate £130.00
    Total Chargeable Time £650.00

Expenses Re-Charged to Client £0.00
    Under/(Over) Payment B/Forward £0.00
    Invoice Amount Payable £650.00
    Less Pre-tax Deductions:
    Employers NIC £44.08
    Pension/Child Care Vouchers £0.00

Umbrella Margin £40.00

Less Payslip Deductions:
    Employees NIC £38.46
    PAYE £54.20
    Student Loans £12.00
    Net Payment per Payslip £461.26

Deduction of Previous Advance £0.00
    Amount Paid to Bank £461.26

Your net payment was paid as:
    Net Wages £370.76
    Non-rechargeable Expenses £90.50
    Re-chargeable Expenses £0.00

Please note (see below) you have expenses carried forward of £0.00

Originally posted by bpbpbp View Post
    Hi,

I'm hoping to do a crossreference from somebody in a similar contract to myself, as my take home pay is significantly less than I had hoped.

- I'm providing IT Analyst services to a client and using an umbrella company
    - My rate is £130pd, my agency charge me at £160pd
    - I have been here 8 weeks now, working a varying 3-5 days a week
    - My daily expenses are only £10pd food, and 18 miles commute per day calculated at £8.10
    - My pay breakdown is below

Thanks.

CALCULATION OF NET PAYMENT:

Time Worked 5.00 @
    Rate £130.00
    Total Chargeable Time £650.00

Expenses Re-Charged to Client £0.00
    Under/(Over) Payment B/Forward £0.00
    Invoice Amount Payable £650.00
    Less Pre-tax Deductions:
    Employers NIC £44.08
    Pension/Child Care Vouchers £0.00

Umbrella Margin £40.00

Less Payslip Deductions:
    Employees NIC £38.46
    PAYE £54.20
    Student Loans £12.00
    Net Payment per Payslip £461.26

Deduction of Previous Advance £0.00
    Amount Paid to Bank £461.26

Your net payment was paid as:
    Net Wages £370.76
    Non-rechargeable Expenses £90.50
    Re-chargeable Expenses £0.00

Please note (see below) you have expenses carried forward of £0.00
    £461 take home out of £650 gross comes out at a generous 70%, which is more than the 65% I would expect from a reputable umbrella.

If you want more more I would suggest finding a better paid contract.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

By how much?

There's the Brolly fee of £40 which seems a lot to me, and the employers NI which comes out of your pocket since it's part of the gross rate, £44.08.

So that's £84 quid before you start to deduct you NI and PAYE....

Comment

Calculation looks fine to me but the margin is particularly high at £40pw

Was it explained to you before you signed up with them that their margin and the employer's NI figure are deducted from the contract value before your salary is calculated?
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          Calculation looks fine to me but the margin is particularly high at £40pw

Was it explained to you before you signed up with them that their margin and the employer's NI figure are deducted from the contract value before your salary is calculated?
          Thanks all!

Lisa - I'm afraid if it was explained, I missed it, so I can't say. I was however, quoted £11.99 fees or similar as a new contractor moving from another. My previous company offered my £11.99 or so as an introductory offer. All of my payslips are showing £20.50 fee until this week's which has jumped to £40.00 - I am going to speak with them

Comment

Thanks all!

Lisa - I'm afraid if it was explained, I missed it, so I can't say. I was however, quoted £11.99 fees or similar as a new contractor moving from another. My previous company offered my £11.99 or so as an introductory offer. All of my payslips are showing £20.50 fee until this week's which has jumped to £40.00 - I am going to speak with them
            £40 margin was due to 2 invoices. All is clear now. Margin is still competitive at £20.50 and from your responses, I am getting a fair deal so I will leave it be for now.

Thanks all!

Comment

10 quid a day for food?? Really?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

£40 margin was due to 2 invoices. All is clear now. Margin is still competitive at £20.50 and from your responses, I am getting a fair deal so I will leave it be for now.

Thanks all!
                So did you work 3 days one week and 2 another? Just asking as the payslip refers to 5 days worked.

The margin is reasonable but all of this should really have been explained to you when you were taken on as their employee
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  So did you work 3 days one week and 2 another? Just asking as the payslip refers to 5 days worked.

The margin is reasonable but all of this should really have been explained to you when you were taken on as their employee
                  Yes you are correct. It is most likely my incompetence, I'm sure it was explained to me

Comment

So allowing for an extra £20, your take home would have been £481, which would have been 74% take home.

Yes, I would let sleeping dogs lie as well if I were you...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X