• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moved from UK to Portugal. Need umbrella for 4 months.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moved from UK to Portugal. Need umbrella for 4 months.

Good day,*
    I am EU citizen originally from Lithuania.

I moved from UK to Portugal this year.
    I will not be tax resident for the year 2015 in UK.
    I will be resident in Portugal for a tax year 2015.

I will register as self employed in Portugal from 1st January 2016 (Portugal tax year is from January to December) as this will give me big financial benefits. Meanwhile I have to start working asap for the next 4 months, but have nowhere to process tax.*

How do I go about these 4 months hanging nowhere? Any umbrella companies who would deal with it? I'd prefer tax processed in UK.

I have UK bank account, UK address, UK national insurance number. I was employed in UK for 6 years.*

If you have given up tax residency in the UK then I believe that you will be taxed in your country of residence i.e. Portugal so you will need an umbrella company that operates in that country. I know of a number of umbrella companies who deal with European taxes but not in Portugal - sorry
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

If you are in Portugal and working in Portugal you pay tax in Portugal, you can't pay tax in the UK.

If you are working in the UK and commuting you pay tax in the UK and declare that in Portugal.

Although you are tax resident in Portugal, you are still liable for tax as a non-resident in the UK for UK income.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
      X