• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help to understand just about everything wages /tax/expenses /NI umberela company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help to understand just about everything wages /tax/expenses /NI umberela company

Hello Everyone

I hope this post makes sense so please bear with me

when using an umbrella company I understand you pay them NI and a Margin from your wages

is this is taken first from your top line before your own tax and NI is deducted ? (its my understanding that it is )

If an amount is sent to the umbrella company as non taxable (Lodge money) should the umbrella include this amount in their NI calculations ?

An umbrella company employs you under a Contract of Employment; in turn it has a business to business contract with the agency/client. They will raise an invoice at the contract rate multiplied by the number of hours/days you have worked and this invoice is then payable by the agency/client to the umbrella company. An umbrella company has, as with any other employer, a legal obligation to pay Employer's National Insurance Contributions and you, as their employee, are subject to Income Tax and Employee's National Insurance Contributions. So, when the umbrella company receives payment of its invoice from the agency/client, they will retain their margin (usually £25-£30 per week), they will put aside the ERr's NIC's contribution (which is payable to HMRC once a month on 19th) and they will then pay your salary. Again the Income Tax and EE's NIC's will be put aside to be paid to HMRC on the 19th.

Can you explain what you mean by 'lodge money'?
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Lisa thanks for the reply very much appreciated

when my hubby works away from home he receives a non taxable amount of lodge money per night to pay for his accommodation example

wages for hours worked £1,300 lodge non-taxable £200 total invoiced to the umbrella company £1,500

should they deduct their NI from the full amount paid or should the lodge money (£200) be deducted first before their NI contribution is calculated

I also don't understand why if his wages are less this week than last week the NI paid to the umbrella company is more

Thanks

Comment

You're welcome Although I should say that your husband's umbrella company should really be able to answer your questions

If an amount is added to the invoice each week regardless of any costs incurred then it should be considered taxable pay; only actual costs which have been incurred wholly and exclusively as a result of the contract can be claimed for tax relief as expenses.

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
          You're welcome Although I should say that your husband's umbrella company should really be able to answer your questions

If an amount is added to the invoice each week regardless of any costs incurred then it should be considered taxable pay; only actual costs which have been incurred wholly and exclusively as a result of the contract can be claimed for tax relief as expenses.
          thanks Lisa I will at some point be speaking the umbrella company but I just wanted to get my head round how it all works first

I simply don't understand how when he was employed by ABC construction if a job was away from home the lodge money paid to him was (on his wage slip) lodge non taxable £xxx and no tax and NI was paid on this lodge money (because it wasn't wages ) but with the umbrella company it is charged on their NI his NI and Tax

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Hallowitch View Post
            thanks Lisa I will at some point be speaking the umbrella company but I just wanted to get my head round how it all works first

I simply don't understand how when he was employed by ABC construction if a job was away from home the lodge money paid to him was (on his wage slip) lodge non taxable £xxx and no tax and NI was paid on this lodge money (because it wasn't wages ) but with the umbrella company it is charged on their NI his NI and Tax

Thanks
            Was your husband employed by the construction company or was he working through the CIS scheme and registered as a sole trader? To answer your question - the tax treatment of the £200 will depend on the dispensation granted to the umbrella company by HMRC.

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
              Was your husband employed by the construction company or was he working through the CIS scheme and registered as a sole trader? To answer your question - the tax treatment of the £200 will depend on the dispensation granted to the umbrella company by HMRC.
              he was employed direct by the construction company

this is the first time he has worked away and been paid by umbrella company

when the agency asked him to (first time he has worked for this agency ) work away there was no lodge included the agency went back to the client and they agreed to give him £x per night to cover accommodation this is paid as a non taxable expense by the client to the agency then passed to the umbrella company

Thank you for time and help

Comment

As a guess...

The previous employer had a scale rate agreement which meant that rather than paying the exact money to cover the accommodation expense, they can pay a lump sum for each day. When I was a permie, we could claim £40 for accommodation and £25 for food as a per diem and pay no tax on it - great when working on a project where I could live in a shoebox in't middle o' road.

However, the umbrella doesn't have such an arrangement with HMRC, so they either need to pay that money out as salary or pay out the exact expense incurred.

Is your husband putting his expenses through for the amount that he is actually spending? If so, then the only additional tax / NI that will be due would be based on the difference between the lump sum being paid by the client and the amount actually incurred by the contractor. If it's the same, then there is nothing extra; if there is a difference then either the umbrella pockets the difference (not what you want!) or pays it out as salary (and you pay the extra tax).
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Hallowitch View Post
                  he was employed direct by the construction company

this is the first time he has worked away and been paid by umbrella company

when the agency asked him to (first time he has worked for this agency ) work away there was no lodge included the agency went back to the client and they agreed to give him £x per night to cover accommodation this is paid as a non taxable expense by the client to the agency then passed to the umbrella company

Thank you for time and help
                  As TheFaqqer says - the employer probably had an HMRC dispensation to allow for this in which case the amount would have been non-taxable; if the umbrella company does not have a corresponding dispensation or the amount being paid by the agency is not to cover actual incurred costs then it will be taxable

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    As a guess...

The previous employer had a scale rate agreement which meant that rather than paying the exact money to cover the accommodation expense, they can pay a lump sum for each day. When I was a permie, we could claim £40 for accommodation and £25 for food as a per diem and pay no tax on it - great when working on a project where I could live in a shoebox in't middle o' road.

spot on with your Guess work and I believe he has lived in few dumps over the years

However, the umbrella doesn't have such an arrangement with HMRC, so they either need to pay that money out as salary or pay out the exact expense incurred.

Is your husband putting his expenses through for the amount that he is actually spending? If so, then the only additional tax / NI that will be due would be based on the difference between the lump sum being paid by the client and the amount actually incurred by the contractor. If it's the same, then there is nothing extra; if there is a difference then either the umbrella pockets the difference (not what you want!) or pays it out as salary (and you pay the extra tax).
                    we have only been with this umbrella company 2 weeks and to be honest I couldn't understand his wage slip (didn't understand the last one properly but thought I could see what was what now I know I didn't )

With the last umbrella I only claimed for evening meals and Mileage and provided receipts I didn't claim the £10 a day substance because their is no canteen on site that you cant buy meals from but their is cooking facility's for the men to use so he buys bread milk tea bags pies ect for day time from the supermarket

I didn't claim lodge because I thought you couldn't claim tax back from an allowance that was not subject to tax and no one told me different or ask for receipts for lodge

Many thanks for your help
                    Last edited by Hallowitch; 30 January 2015, 15:19.

Comment

Working...
                    X