• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Comparison of umbrella calculators

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparison of umbrella calculators

When I use this calculator:
    Umbrella Company Tax Calculator
    (£375 per day, £110 umbrella fee, 37.5 hours per week, 52 weeks per year, 1000L tax code, no expenses)
    ... results are as follows:
    Total annual income: £97,500.00
    Employers NI: £11,781.12
    Employee PAYE: £28,623
    Employee NI: £5,181.28
    Net monthly income: £4,216.18

Using monthly calculator here and matching input data (£375 per day, no expenses):
    JSA Take Home Pay Calculator
    Employers NI: £10,605.00
    Employee PAYE: £22,950.00
    Employee NI: £5,210.00
    Net monthly income: £4,408.00

For £450 daily rate, discrepancies are even higher: £4,667.35 vs £ 5,173.00.

Main reason for difference seems to be the income tax (employee PAYE). Can you explain me which calculation is correct and why?

Originally posted by AutomationGuy View Post
    When I use this calculator:
    Umbrella Company Tax Calculator
    (£375 per day, £110 umbrella fee, 37.5 hours per week, 52 weeks per year, 1000L tax code, no expenses)
    Employers NI: £11,781.12
    Employee PAYE: £28,623
    Employee NI: £5,181.28
    Net monthly income: £4,216.18

Using monthly calculator here and matching input data (£375 per day, no expenses):
    JSA Take Home Pay Calculator
    Employers NI: £10,605.00
    Employee PAYE: £22,950.00
    Employee NI: £5,210.00
    Net monthly income: £4,408.00

For £450 daily rate, discrepancies are even higher: £4,667.35 vs £ 5,173.00.

Main reason for difference seems to be the income tax (employee PAYE). Can you explain me which calculation is correct and why?
    No idea. What's your tax code? What's your weekly work-related expense bill? What other income do you have? And so on...

The calculators are a pointless comparison since you don't know what they have assumed for the above questions (and a few others). There is only one set of taxation rules for them to follow, so your comparison should be based on how correctly they follow them and what their fees are. Ignore any whose fees are based on your day rate, and any who promise you much more than around 65% net income.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Agree with Mal - without knowing the basis of the calculations we can't answer but as the PAYE tax figure is lower in the umbrella company figure compared to the CUK calculation, it could be that the umbrella company has assumed that you will claim some expenses even if you have entered zero amounts
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

On a side note, not sure how the Umbrella branch of JSA compares to their ltd. accounting, but the later is utter garbage.

Comment

Working...
        X