• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE CC elections - who's going to stand this year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPSE CC elections - who's going to stand this year?

It's that time of year again - IPSE CC elections are open for nominations until Thursday at 6pm, with 12 places available. You can read about the election here and you can read about what the CC does and why you should consider it here.

So this is my appeal to try to encourage those that are members to stand for election. It may be nerve-wracking (and possibly unnatural to a contractor) to think about being seen as some kind of representative or politician (I'm a techie and always will be, so the thought of getting thrown into policy discussions was a little daunting when I first stood for CC).

BUT - a member of the CC doesn't have to be a policy expert, or a public speaker, or a strategist, or any of those things. IPSE has those experts already (I know that some people round these parts may find that hard to believe, but it's true!), so you don't have to be a policy genius or strategic thinker to join the CC.

So, what do you need to be a CC member? You need to be a contractor / freelancer / self-employed / independent professional / any other term that you use to describe the way that we all work. You are an expert on the way you work and the issues that you face - and IPSE is weaker without a reality check that says "good in theory, but..." to ideas. That's all you need to be - yourself. Nothing more, nothing less.

The policy team rely on real input from contractors into every aspect of the work that they do. What the choices are, what are the upsides and downsides of decisions, will be made clear at the CC meetings - you are there to be consulted by the board and staff, and you will be listened to. There will be plenty of discussion and debate, but the thoughts of the CC are always considered when making strategic and policy decisions.

It's easy to construct a hypothetical contractor (let's face it, we've seen HMRC do it for years!) and then use that model to push all sorts of things. What the CC needs is members who can make their points about how things work in the Real World, and to work well together with other members, the staff and the Board.

The reality is if you can't do that, you're probably not a very successful contractor to begin with. But IPSE can only thrive it if genuinely understands you and the pressures you actually face day-to-day.

Please help make IPSE stronger. Stand for the CC. Go to the election site and put yourself forward. Go on

TL;DR > Stand for election - the site can be found here.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Well I've got my CC member spreadsheet at the ready for the existing CC members, but never fear - you and mudskipper have exceeded my criteria for re-election.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Well I've got my CC member spreadsheet at the ready for the existing CC members, but never fear - you and mudskipper have exceeded my criteria for re-election.
      Given the current number of candidates compared to the number of available spaces unless things drastically change I really don't think you'll need a spreadsheet.

I highly doubt there will need to an election
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Given the current number of candidates compared to the number of available spaces unless things drastically change I really don't think you'll need a spreadsheet.

Same thing as last year - we ended up with 18 candidates that time. Expect others to appear over the next week.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Same thing as last year - we ended up with 18 candidates that time. Expect others to appear over the next week.
          2 days. But yes, it was last minute for many in previous years.

Comment

It should be noted that there is quality candidates rather than quantity
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              It should be noted that there is quality candidates rather than quantity
              Looking at the 4 that are currently there I'm a bit unsure about a couple of them....

Comment

Looking at the 4 that are currently there I'm a bit unsure about a couple of them....
                Throw your hat in the ring then, give them some competition!
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Throw your hat in the ring then, give them some competition!
                  Nope I know my plans for the next 2 years. I don't have time for what I'm planning to do before I add more to it.

Remember I said the options were to either fight or move out of the contracting game. I'm going for the latter - a highly specialized consultancy that can actually deliver...

Comment

a highly specialized consultancy that can actually deliver...
                    Isn't that what contracting was supposed to be?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X