• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VPN Setup - Client and Host

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    ...In Spain I am hoping to use an Asustex TR-AC66U Route...
    Most of this thread is beyond me unfortunately, but I know there are VPN options built in to the range of Asus routers you appear to be using in Spain; I'm using the RT-N66U myself and have set up a VPN on it (although admittedly that's for connecting TO it). There appears to be some sort of option to set up the router a VPN client as far as I can see, but it's way beyond my understanding so no idea if it will suit you.

I can't remember if the standard firmware supports this out of the box, or if you need the grey Merlin firmware from Asuswrt-Merlin - custom firmware for Asus routers | Merlin's Tower (Asus unofficially supports this guy by giving him the source code, and even steals some of his good stuff for their own official firmware from time to time).

Anyway, thought I'd mention it as overall the grey firmware seems pretty good to me so wanted to make sure you're aware of it (I use it as it contains an option to allow me to connect to my OpenReach fibre modem, rather than using Sky's own router).

Comment

Don't know about the specifics of the devices being discussed, but the "using public IP" should be a simple matter of routing. The original built in Windows VPN used to route everything by default through the remote network (and so appear to come from there) because the "use default gateway on remote network" was switched on.

You could set up static routes to make certain sites route that way if you needed to, without all your internet taking the slower route. I used to do this because we had a company webserver that only allowed access from the company's public IP, but with a static route setup at home I could get round it by routing just that IP through the company network.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
      X