• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looking for decent speakers for the home office

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for decent speakers for the home office

Anyone got any recommendations for wireless speakers for my home office. Has to be wireless because I want to share the speakers between two laptops.

Don't know much about speakers but looking to play music on one of the laptops and occasionally watch Netflix on the other laptop.

Not sure about price range, open to encouragement.

Seems like plugging a lead in isn't a big deal. With wireless you'd still have to virtually unplug by un pairing, I think, if you use Bluetooth and the first laptop auto pairs?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Seems like plugging a lead in isn't a big deal. With wireless you'd still have to virtually unplug by un pairing, I think, if you use Bluetooth and the first laptop auto pairs?
      We have a small portable wireless speaker in the kitchen, syncs with misuses iPhone and my Nokia Lumina. No real hassle switching between both phones and just seems to work.

I could probably get by with a lead though but was looking for something better.

Comment

All the wireless speakers i've seen are ok at best, like any other computer speakers they do a job but aren't really what I'd call proper speakers.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          All the wireless speakers i've seen are ok at best, like any other computer speakers they do a job but aren't really what I'd call proper speakers.
          You can definitely get decent wireless speakers, but look in the AV section for regular speakers supporting bluetooth would be my suggestion. For instance search on Amazon for "soundbar bluetooth". I think one of the low-end Cambridge Audio amps comes bundled with a bluetooth adapter, get literally any set of HiFi speakers and you'd be laughing. Although for me this would be overkill for the office

You could leave one laptop wired, and the other use wireless, potentially.

Comment

You can definitely get decent wireless speakers, but look in the AV section for regular speakers supporting bluetooth would be my suggestion. For instance search on Amazon for "soundbar bluetooth". I think one of the low-end Cambridge Audio amps comes bundled with a bluetooth adapter, get literally any set of HiFi speakers and you'd be laughing. Although for me this would be overkill for the office
            Well yes but then you're still going to have cables to the actual speakers. If you're going down the bluetooth adapter route the world is your oyster really as you can use anything.

I probably have a distorted sense of value anyway as I'd look at something like this as a cheap but decent small speaker, rather than the usual creative / logitech / etc option. I actually have the older version ESI ones on my desk

ESI Aktiv 05 Active Studio Monitor - Pair | DV247

M-Audio BX5 D2 Active Studio Monitors | DV247

These are a bit more expensive...

Adam A3X Active Studio Monitors - Pair | DV247

Focal CMS 40 Powered Reference Monitors - Pair | DV247

Apologies to the OP for going wildly off topic, I realise this isn't what you're looking for...

Edit: this might be though. Just ordered myself one, thanks for the suggestion dooohg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0037LHUSE
            Last edited by doodab; 16 February 2014, 13:34.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Didn't have much luck with wireless speakers so I got one of these to use my sound system speakers ( need a stereo jack)

Logitech Wireless Speaker Adaptor

Not the sexiest or techno bit of kit, and was a bit worried as some reviews said they got interference, but for the money (under £30 and I had a voucher : ) ) I gave it a shot about 7 months ago and have had no probs.
              If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck,it must be a duck

Comment

You could leave one laptop wired, and the other use wireless, potentially.
                Cheers d000hg, this might be just what I'm after and not a bad price!

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Well yes but then you're still going to have cables to the actual speakers. If you're going down the bluetooth adapter route the world is your oyster really as you can use anything.

I probably have a distorted sense of value anyway as I'd look at something like this as a cheap but decent small speaker, rather than the usual creative / logitech / etc option. I actually have the older version ESI ones on my desk
                  I gave up using "computer speakers" a few years back. I used to listen to the radio a lot so I just bought a cheap hi-fi which while crap by hi-fi standards, was a million times better than typical computer speakers, with an AUX-in.

We just bought a soundbar for the main TV and now the Sony HiFi we were using down there is on my desk. Rather over the top really, it's the amp and speakers from a fairly decent modular system (the other bits were long ago discarded). I have it set up with a mini-mixing desk so I have my main PC, Mac as well as guitar+microphone all going through the mixer to the amp... if I wanted to I could use a professional microphone for Skype

Comment

I have Logitech Z906 speakers, NOT wireless but do provide a number of inputs.
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                    X