• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dual band alternative Infinity 2 router suggestions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the netgear R6300 - operates on 2.4 and 5ghz simultaneously (although we only really use the 2.4ghz band).

Wirelessly, I can get 66mbps in the study (approx 6ft away from the router with 2 doors/walls in the way) and over 30mbps a floor away.

It also supports opendns etc and so has a good level of parental control (if required) to block smut and kick off xbox-live at certain times of the day.

--Jatinder

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      In that case just the single updater running on a mac or PC in the house will keep Dyndns happy. Just if your doing loads of hosts to one ip can get messy!

It's all I use it for - running on my iMac is the Dyndns updater, notifies them of of any ip changes - to be honest hardly happens now - get the same ip for months. When BT fibre was 'training' it used to change all the time.
      Used to do that but decided against it after windows updated and killed the process when I was on holiday, after I had set it up as a service the machine crashed when I was on holiday the year later.

Comment

Originally posted by jatinder View Post
        I use the netgear R6300 - operates on 2.4 and 5ghz simultaneously (although we only really use the 2.4ghz band).

Wirelessly, I can get 66mbps in the study (approx 6ft away from the router with 2 doors/walls in the way) and over 30mbps a floor away.

It also supports opendns etc and so has a good level of parental control (if required) to block smut and kick off xbox-live at certain times of the day.

--Jatinder
        Had a look at that one, looks ideal but it seems (from a few sites) they only allow dyndns.org as the DDNS option. Is that true?

I kind of don't mind paying for dyndns but I don't want to be locked in with only their service for ever more.

Comment

Yes, it only uses dyndns as far as I can see.

--Jatinder

Comment

--Jatinder
            Does this work with BT Infinity 2? I have the white small box and the Home Hub 3, so it would replace Home Hub 3 OK?

Comment

Yes, it only uses dyndns as far as I can see.

--Jatinder
              Cheers.

Comment

After a mornings research I think it is between the netgear 6300 and the asus AC66U...

ASUS RT-AC66U 802.11ac vs NetGear R6300 in Routers

I think I am tending towards the ASUS.

ASUS do free DDNS for their hardware which is one of the reasons it just shades it.

Comment

Originally posted by proggy View Post
                  Does this work with BT Infinity 2? I have the white small box and the Home Hub 3, so it would replace Home Hub 3 OK?
                  Yes, it works with FTTC so replaces the HH3. Its enabled for 1750mbps with the new wireless ac standard.

I still dont understand how if FTTC delivers upto 76mb what use a device is that is capable of 1300mbps + 450mbps (unless its something to do with bits and bytes!).
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                  X