• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I rely on IE quirks mode?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I rely on IE quirks mode?

Been developing various interactives in HTML/javascript and now most work, or so I thought, in all browsers including tablets.

Then I discovered that my IE9 was in quirks mode and if I switch to IE7, 8 or 9 document mode they don't work due to problems of different zoom behaviour, refresh/resize interactions and mouse x/y being different. Made some changes and have now got one working in all versions but wondering if I actually need to bother changing the others similarly.

As far as I can make out from the net, since I have a proper DOCTYPE, this must be due to some non standard bit of code. Can I actually rely on some cockup always triggering IE quirks mode for everyone so I actually don't need to bother fixing the other cockups?

Cheers

PS Nope, my basic template checks out error free but IE opens in quirks mode for that too. Must be cos DOCTPE is transitional.
    PPS IE10 quirks mode is different. agh!
    Last edited by xoggoth; 19 March 2013, 17:11.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

No

You have done a net search so I am sure you have read and fully understand these Quirks mode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Internet Explorer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Internet Explorer has been subjected to many security vulnerabilities and concerns: Much of the spyware, adware, and computer viruses across the Internet are made possible by exploitable bugs and flaws in the security architecture of Internet Explorer, sometimes requiring nothing more than viewing of a malicious web page in order to install themselves. This is known as a "drive-by install".

The German government warned users against using Internet Explorer and recommended switching to an alternative web browser, due to the major security hole described above that was exploited in Internet Explorer. The Australian and French Government issued a similar warning a few days later. The first browser they recommended was Mozilla Firefox, followed by Google Chrome

Hamza Bendelledj is believed to have stolen funds from 127 American banks over the past six years using a Zeus-powered botnet. A new report suggests it infected more than a third of the world's IP addresses and sent 1.5 million fake Facebook emails in a single day.Zeus only attacks widows o/s many of the box's where running IE so it has cost commerce millions of dollars so why even bother fiddling with IE?

If you in commerce,or a private user you should totally boycott Microsoft products.They will cost you mega $ lose of revenue due to Cyber Attacks.You should only use Linux.10 of the Best Free Linux Web Browsers 10 of the Best Free Linux Web Browsers - Linux Links - The Linux Portal Site IE does not even get a mention.

Comment

From my experience - no. I had to create a Windows XP VM to run IE7. It's a pain in the ass but the easiest thing to do.

GE

Comment

Ta for relevant answer.

You are right. I just upgraded to IE10 and there are problems with default document for that so will have to patch all my pages.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
        X