• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ultimate Developer Laptop Apps (Wintel)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Nice, what spec?

SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition
    oh gutted Developer Edition is no longer available in the MS online store, this could be a mission!

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Nice, what spec?
    Optimus: 17.3" HD+ LED Backlit Widescreen (1600x900) Super Clear Matte
    Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Dual Core Mobile Processor i7-640M (2.80GHz) 4MB Cache
    Memory (RAM) 4GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 2GB)
    Graphics Card nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 425M - 1GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
    Memory - 1st Hard Disk 500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

If you're serious about the Microsoft BI stack then you really need:
    Windows 7
    Office 2010

The way you're going you seem to want to become obsolete.

VMWare is very handy for quickly creating dev environments
    Yeah I intend to get a 64-bit desktop machine to use as a server with server 2008 on it, for windows 7/office 2010 ill have them on VM (just trying away to get cheap developer versions) as XP is the most stable environment for what I need to do, this will change eventually and may have to go completely over to win 7 (as I don't think Ill be able to make a dual boot machine as my hard drive is sata) - but its not primarily microsoft BI tools I need more the platform and most client machines I've come across so far are still XP (plus I much prefer it )

You are right about SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition though, think its only $50 so well worth it, would like to get the SSIS/SSAS stuff for SQL/Visual studio too but again its about getting the dev versions for cheap.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
    right, gotcha.

PuTTY gets mentioned a lot and I may have to work with unix boxes in the future so it's worth a look
    Putty is a pile of poop compared to ZOC, it's not free but the only issue with not paying for it is it says 'evaluation version' on the title bar, never times out or nags.

ZOC - SSH Client (Secure Shell), SSH2 Client, Telnet Client for Windows and Mac OS X

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Just bought me a nice new laptop purely for work
    Nice, what spec?

Win XP Pro 32-bit
    Office 2003
    SQL Server 2008 express
    If you're serious about the Microsoft BI stack then you really need:
    Windows 7
    Office 2010

The way you're going you seem to want to become obsolete.

VMWare is very handy for quickly creating dev environments

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
    SQL Developer is free and does most of what Toad does.
    yeah I've recently got this on my clients machine but haven't used it much yet, toad is OK it is not as good as I thought it might be, I prefer the Microsoft SQL IDE, well 2005 upwards. I may try and get on with just this and drop toad

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    In some environments e.g. my current one, ftp is simply banned as it's considered insecure. SCP works over SSH, which means you don't have to run ftpd on the server.

PuTTY is used for connecting to unix machines via SSH.
    right, gotcha.

PuTTY gets mentioned a lot and I may have to work with unix boxes in the future so it's worth a look

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    SQL Developer is free and does most of what Toad does.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    have you used filezilla? if so why do feel WinSCP is superior (or is because filezilla only does FTP?)

out of interest what do you use telnet for? i've only ever used it to debug network probs - just interested is all
    In some environments e.g. my current one, ftp is simply banned as it's considered insecure. SCP works over SSH, which means you don't have to run ftpd on the server.

PuTTY is used for connecting to unix machines via SSH.

If given truly free reign e.g. using my own hardware, I sometimes use a linux VM on my laptop which has all these sorts of tools available on the command line. Of course their utility depends somewhat on whether the client environment is Unix / Linux or Windows.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Microsoft TFS for my source code control, but before that I was using perforce.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    WinSCP
    Putty
    have you used filezilla? if so why do feel WinSCP is superior (or is because filezilla only does FTP?)

out of interest what do you use telnet for? i've only ever used it to debug network probs - just interested is all

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    That's going to slow things down, unless you have at least one of them turned off by default.
    I'd have
    some kind of source code control repository
    otherwise I think you've got everything covered.
    yeah will only have one at a time, SQL Server is easy enough to stand up but definitely want oracle installed and ready to go so I can switch it on and just use it

what do you use git or mercurial/subversion or something else?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X