• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ultimate Developer Laptop Apps (Wintel)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    If you have cygwin installed then putty, wincsp and gvim are redundant, as you will use the built-in ssh, scp and vim(vi).
    Actually they aren't, and I don't. I find the standalone gvim much better integrated with windows as I can just right click and "edit with vim", and putty also does serial ports which is handy on those rare occasions you need it.

Leave a comment:

• petergriffin
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    gvim
    cygwin
    WinSCP
    Putty

Plus eclipse or springsource tool suite as I am (mostly) doing Java these days.
    If you have cygwin installed then putty, wincsp and gvim are redundant, as you will use the built-in ssh, scp and vim(vi). I personally prefer MinGW to Cygwin, you can build cross platform binaries for Win-Unix on it:
    MinGW cross compiler for Linux build environment | MinGW

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
    right, gotcha.

PuTTY gets mentioned a lot and I may have to work with unix boxes in the future so it's worth a look
    The Putty suite also contains an sftp client. With a little work, you can set up shared keys and a few windows shortcuts to give yourself automatic access.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    One tool I just love is SQL Effects Clarity (may now be called SQL Accord) which is totally free in the CE edition:

SQL Effects Software

Allows for easy and quick database comparison (structure, functions, stored procs, views etc) which I find invaluable when working with databases from different release versions or test environments, or for checking database update scripts are working as expected.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    I use Pietty:

PieTTY (pputty): piaip's reimplementation of PuTTY

Just like putty but allows you to make the windows transparent which I find very useful so that I can see what's going on in the background as I fiddle about in a terminal. Downloading Zog to give it a go now
    ZOC does everything, sometimes a little hidden in the menu's but it's there. Stores password if you want, does keepalives, even let;s you type one command in many windows, ideal for cluster-type deployments.

Does transparency, doesn't do proper full-screen, only thing I've found, not an issue for me but the puttyheads at work disrespect ZOC cos of it...

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I use Pietty:

PieTTY (pputty): piaip's reimplementation of PuTTY

Just like putty but allows you to make the windows transparent which I find very useful so that I can see what's going on in the background as I fiddle about in a terminal. Downloading Zog to give it a go now

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition - Complete package - 1 user - DVD - Win - English - 32/64-bit: Amazon.co.uk: Software

It's £50 on amazon and includes all the SSRS/AS/IS development tools, infact seeing as how the developer edition is actually a re-badged enterprise edition it includes everything!!
    (Which can be bad when you forget the client is using standard and you developed a solution which needs enterprise features)
    hehe, how bizarre I had just googled that and was gonna post 'trust amazon!'

this is a consideration, I do think though that my kind of dev probably isn't enterprisey (hate that word!) enough to be utilising the enterprise parts - but definitely worth baring in mind!

cheers

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    You are right about SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition though, think its only $50 so well worth it, would like to get the SSIS/SSAS stuff for SQL/Visual studio too but again its about getting the dev versions for cheap.
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition - Complete package - 1 user - DVD - Win - English - 32/64-bit: Amazon.co.uk: Software

It's £50 on amazon and includes all the SSRS/AS/IS development tools, infact seeing as how the developer edition is actually a re-badged enterprise edition it includes everything!!
    (Which can be bad when you forget the client is using standard and you developed a solution which needs enterprise features)

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Doesn't Technet have it?
    potentially somewhere, not having much luck with the search on there - you can find it in the states but they wont let you download to the UK

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    oh gutted Developer Edition is no longer available in the MS online store, this could be a mission!
    Doesn't Technet have it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X