• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ultimate Developer Laptop Apps (Wintel)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thunderlizard
    replied
    SQL Server 2008 express
    Oracle 11g enterprise edition
    That's going to slow things down, unless you have at least one of them turned off by default.
    I'd have
    some kind of source code control repository
    otherwise I think you've got everything covered.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    gvim
    cygwin
    WinSCP
    Putty

Plus eclipse or springsource tool suite as I am (mostly) doing Java these days.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    started a topic Ultimate Developer Laptop Apps (Wintel)

Ultimate Developer Laptop Apps (Wintel)

Hi All,

Just bought me a nice new laptop purely for work (Win XP Pro 32-bit) and am filling it with all the tools I need (preferrably free where I can get them), I thought I'd try and get together a good list of definitive apps and tools for general dev so please add suggestions or improvements. I work in BI so don't tend to need the heavy heavy dev tools.

Office 2003
    SQL Server 2008 express
    Oracle 11g enterprise edition
    Toad for Oracle
    Filezilla (client and server)
    LDAP Browser
    Visual Studio Express
    Apache Tomcat
    vmware workstation
    7zip
    cutepdf
    google chrome
    firefox
    Notepad ++
    WinMerge
    Replacem
    Agent Ransack
    Paint.net
    Hypersnap
    Process Explorer
    TcpView
    FileMon
    duplicate cleaner
    threatfire
    spybot
    cccleaner
    anti-malware

I'm sure there are lots of things I may have missed but may find useful, so if you were in my position which apps would you be putting on a new laptop as 'must haves'?

Working...
X