• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Demon just capped my broadband - Anyone know an uncapped business broadband ISP?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demon just capped my broadband - Anyone know an uncapped business broadband ISP?

Anyone know of a genuinely uncapped business broadband ISP?

For the last couple of days I've had problems with my Demon-Thus business broadband service, and have phoned a couple of times to ask for a line check.

On the third call today I was finally told that my service had been capped according to their new fair usage policy detailed here.

Last year Demon told me their business broadband was uncapped, which is why I have been willing to pay a bit over the odds for it. But today their Help Desk guy admitted that they had introduced business broadband capping last month, with no announcement.

(Sneakily amending a web page buried away on their site doesn't count as an announcement - Most users probably don't look at Demon pages from one year to the next!)
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

All the truly uncapped services I have seen are SDSL, Metro Ethernet etc.

Not "unlimited", or particularly cheap, but they are at least upfront about what you get, and you can get a 1000GB a month package:

Award-winning Home & Business Broadband Provider, IP VPN & Leased Lines, Hosting & Domains | Zen Internet
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

When you say unlimited do you really mean that, or just a very high limit. Have you measured your usage to see what you realistically need, so you can see the best plan for your needs?
      For instance I listen to internet radio and we use iPlayer quite a lot, AND I run my development to remote SVN through it, and still reach my 40Gb limit.

For your business, how many people use the net and how much?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, I guess 30 Gbytes a day would be realistic, or roughly 1000 Gbyte a month.

Also, as general principle, I could understand if there was a more "graceful" degradation if one exceeded a limit, rather than just pulling the plug, and a timely notification this had been done and an indication of how long one would be in the dog house! Oh and some kind of online dashboard one could check one's usage.

Demon have failed dismally at all these. So I think I'll definitely go with Zen first thing on tuesday (unless other suggestions materialise).
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Voting with your wallet is the only way.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I thought most did charge a fee for the excess or degrade performance, that does suck.

30GB/day, really? I struggle to think how I'd manage that, for work purposes. Are you streaming tons of data?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I currently do about 900Gb a month through Zen. I'd highly recommend them. My problem is where to go for the next major increase usage without it costing vast amounts.

Comment

Working...
              X