• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I want to create an animation from a bunch of PNGs, what's quickest?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to create an animation from a bunch of PNGs, what's quickest?

I have about a dozen PNGs describing step-by-step guide for something. I'd like a tool that will _very_ quickly let me create an animation of some sort, which doesn't require a special tool to play.
    Do animated GIFs still get used, or is there an animated PNG that is supported in browsers, etc? Or a (web?) tool to quickly create a flash or a video?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    or is there an animated PNG that is supported in browsers,
    It's called MNG.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      It's called MNG.
      Unfortunately, browser support for MNG is pretty much non-existent.

I have about a dozen PNGs describing step-by-step guide for something. I'd like a tool that will _very_ quickly let me create an animation of some sort, which doesn't require a special tool to play.
      Do animated GIFs still get used, or is there an animated PNG that is supported in browsers, etc? Or a (web?) tool to quickly create a flash or a video?
      Animated GIFs are supported everywhere, so if the limitations of the GIF format don't reduce your file quality noticeably, that'd be the easiest way to go.

Otherwise, just do it with JavaScript. Here's a quick demo I've knocked up; there's also a ZIP of all the files, so you can have a look at the source.

Much of that code is to do with setting up the demo; the actual animation code is just a few lines (in the startAnimation function near the top) and some variable declarations.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Unfortunately, browser support for MNG is pretty much non-existent.
        Really? It's been around for donkeys years. It's a shame because 256 colour Animated Gifs really are tulip in this day and age.

Object does not support property or method.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Really? It's been around for donkeys years. It's a shame because 256 colour Animated Gifs really are tulip in this day and age.
          Yep - in fact, Mozilla used to support it, but remove support in 2003 because nobody actually used it.

Object does not support property or method.
          I think you'll find it was "Object does not support this action" - crappy IE doesn't support changing a button's type by setting the property, only by using setAttribute (as opposed to those cases where it only supports changing the property, and doesn't support setAttribute). Fixed now

Comment

I've used a combination of animated gifs and jscript for simple animations as here, gif for the smaller movements, jscript for the major movements.

Food

Jasc Animation shop 3, now Corel, is good for producing simple animations, just put in your series of photos, set frame speed etc. You can add various effects like wipe, scroll, fade etc to move from one to other and make it look a bit flashier.

Corel - Animation Shop 3 - Software
            Last edited by xoggoth; 26 August 2010, 22:26.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Jasc Animation shop 3, now Corel, is good for producing simple animations, just put in your series of photos, set frame speed etc. You can add various effects like wipe, scroll, fade etc to move from one to other and make it look a bit flashier.

Corel - Animation Shop 3 - Software
              I've used this before when it came bundled with paint shop pro (unless I'm mistaken). Very easy to use to string together a bunch of images as you've described.

Comment

Not quite what you are asking for but using Keynote (Apple's answer to Powerpoint), I can simply drag a load of PNG files into a new presentation, put them in the right order and then set the playback options as I wish. Or simply export as web pages. It's certainly _very_ quick to do.

I haven't tried this with Powerpoint, but if that's all you have it's worth a try.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  I've used a combination of animated gifs and jscript for simple animations as here, gif for the smaller movements, jscript for the major movements.

Food
                  That's pretty impressive Xog.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    Not quite what you are asking for but using Keynote (Apple's answer to Powerpoint), I can simply drag a load of PNG files into a new presentation, put them in the right order and then set the playback options as I wish. Or simply export as web pages. It's certainly _very_ quick to do.

I haven't tried this with Powerpoint, but if that's all you have it's worth a try.
                    I ideally want to spit out a file that can just be emailed or whatever, a self-contained unit. The web-based approach is cool though and I'll definitely try to remember it for the future. Powerpoint is probably a ubiquitous enough format (due to free viewers and google-app compatibility) but I was hoping for something I could put in a web-page as well, like a PNG or even a SWF... are there tools which will spit out a SWF slide-show from input files?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X