• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Need to get up to speed on mobile apps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iphone/Ipad dev would appear much the same - same os, sdk anyway.

That appcelerator looks most interesting.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 23 July 2010, 14:36.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      You're out of date on the rules apple seem to be applying. The current rules seem to be if the tool directly uses Apple's api's its fine if not you'll have a problem. Javascript is explicitly allowed so Appcelarator doesn't seem to have any problems.

Have MonoTouch apps been barred as I have seen no evidence that appcelerator or unity3d ones have been?
      Apple app police anoint un-Flash code translation

It does seem that so far the principle has only been applied to anything created from an Adobe product. IIRC JavaScript was only allowed if interpreted by Safari, i.e. part of a web page, whereas Appcelerator (correct me if I'm wrong) seems to be using JavaScript internally but spitting out something else to feed into Apple's tools. A bit of a grey area at best.

The problem is, this could all change tomorrow morning if Steve Jobs wakes up with a new whim.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Apple app police anoint un-Flash code translation

It does seem that so far the principle has only been applied to anything created from an Adobe product. IIRC JavaScript was only allowed if interpreted by Safari, i.e. part of a web page, whereas Appcelerator (correct me if I'm wrong) seems to be using JavaScript internally but spitting out something else to feed into Apple's tools. A bit of a grey area at best.

The problem is, this could all change tomorrow morning if Steve Jobs wakes up with a new whim.
        The way the rules seem to be being applied is:-

if the end program directly uses Apple's API everything is fine.
        If the end program uses a separate API no chance.

While it is a gray area the time I save means that there is an obvious no chance statement I'll continue to use my current tool set.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          The way the rules seem to be being applied is:-

if the end program directly uses Apple's API everything is fine.
          If the end program uses a separate API no chance.
          But what's an API exactly? You have to use the OS API to some extent to do anything on an OS.

It's not just the language or API issues either. Jobs spoke out specifically against any kind of cross platform development system.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Can't get anywhere with that Appcelerator. On attempting to package it either just sits there telling me it's packaging for ever or returns an http null error. On more than one occasion it has locked up the entire machine when I open it and only solution is to switch off.

Actually it seems to locks the PC up everytime apart from the 1st time it is opened. Are there any mobile dev progs that aren't flakey open source stuff? Couldn't get anywhere with Nokia dev stuff either, it just didn't work.
            Last edited by xoggoth; 26 July 2010, 12:58.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I managed to get the android SDK installed and running with eclipse in about an hour. It worked too.

Obviously it probably helps that I've been using eclipse for years.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I've gone back to MonoTouch and using c# found i could produce things 10x quicker.

Only BIG problem is that its $399 for even the base version of it so may have to persevere with Convoluted-C or whatever it calls itself.

Comment

Working...
                X